Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Roderic Bos
70 posts
Sorry, Mischief was unable to create a canv(Fixed)
Edited by Roderic Bos on Reason: fixed
I downloaded the mischief app from here https://www.madewithmischief.com/ and installed the free version.

But when I try to open the .art file I get get following messagebox :(
---------------------------
Warning
Sorry, Mischief was unable to create a canvas for the .art file
OK   

Should I download some other version?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I am using the 15 day trial version at the moment. I do not know if perhaps the free version cannot load ones from the commercial version? I was planning on just buying Mischief and using the full version but maybe that is a mistake if the files cannot be viewed by people with some sort of free viewer :/ Maybe we can get some clarification from them?

- Casey
Roderic Bos
70 posts
Edited by Roderic Bos on
According to mischief these are the differences

So are you using a custom color swatch or an extended palette?
William
6 posts
I was unable to open "blackboard.art" with the 15-day trial(full) version of Mischief, I received the same error (unable to create a canvas for the .art file).

I was able to download and open sample .art files, however, so the problem seems limited to Casey's .art file.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Very strange! I wonder what the problem is?

- Casey
William
6 posts
I opened a support ticket with them but I haven't gotten a response yet. I will update this thread when I do.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Thanks man!

- Casey
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
I have switched to using the full (paid) version, and I have made a new .art file to start us off. Please let me know if you can read this one... maybe it's just files with the trial version that don't work? Let's hope so!

- Casey
Egon
2 posts
I wasn't sure where to recommend this, but have you tried MyPaint. It works quite similarly, at the basic level, as Mischief; and if you don't have any problems with dll deps, then it should work quite nicely.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
We have tried many paint programs so I don't see the harm in trying another :) I'll take a look at MyPaint when I get a chance!

- Casey
William
6 posts
The Mischief support people got back to me, they were able to reproduce the issue on their end. There is a new build of Mischief-Free now (2.0.5) with which I am able to open Casey's blackboard.art file and view it.

The new version is available here: https://www.madewithmischief.com/...loads/mischief+free/windows/2.0.5.
Roderic Bos
70 posts
Edited by Roderic Bos on
I can confirm that the last version opens both blackboard.art files fine! So keep drawing the beautiful art!
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Vislor
The Mischief support people got back to me, they were able to reproduce the issue on their end. There is a new build of Mischief-Free now (2.0.5) with which I am able to open Casey's blackboard.art file and view it.

You have mad bug reporting skillz!! Any chance you can get them to fix the ALT-TAB-leaves-the-cursor-in-eyedropper mode bug, too?

- Casey