Handmade Hero»Forums»HandmadeCon
Jordan Duval
21 posts
Seattle Traveling
I have never been to Seattle before, does anyone have any tips of how to get from McCaw Hall area to Sea-Tac in fairly short travel time?

I foolishly scheduled a flight at 9:55 PM Sunday night hoping that I could catch the HandmadeCon Job fair before I leave... but I think I am going to have to leave at or before when the job fair starts (we will see). Does anyone know of any ways other than taking like a combination bus and train? Google Maps said the trip will take at least an hour via public transportation.

Thanks! :)

Jordan
JR Smith
2 posts
Seattle Traveling
I'm in the same boat you are in terms of scheduling an early return flight.

I've been using the Link a few times during my week here. It has a couple of stops near the convention center and heads out to SeaTac.

Asaf Gartner
64 posts / 2 projects
Handmade Network Staff
Seattle Traveling
Unless I'm mistaken, the Link's closest station to McCaw Hall is Westlake, which is a fair distance away.
You'll probably want to take the monorail from Seattle Center to Westlake and take the Link from there (as described at the bottom of this page).
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
Seattle Traveling
I'll add another vote to the Link light rail. It's the backbone of seattle transit and will get you to Sea-Tac in around ~45 minutes from Westlake.

I'll also put in a good word for the buses, though they're lacking from what they used to be. If you don't want to take the Monorail to Westlake or another Link stop, Google Maps should help you out with the bus routes (it's quite accurate on the routes, though its usually off by a couple minutes on the stop times).

The monorail is great if you need to go to:
  • Seattle Center (where McCaw Hall is at)
  • Westlake Center

But it makes no stops along the way, so good luck if you wanted to go anywhere else along the line. Also last time I rode it, it only took cash(!?).
5 posts
Seattle Traveling
Well, if you find yourself really pressed for time, you can always grab a rideshare, like Uber. Certainly more expensive, but better then missing a plane. Probably will be other people going the same direction as well, that you can split the fare with.
Jordan Duval
21 posts
Seattle Traveling
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Daichi: I am really tempted to use Uber but my irrational fear is that there won't be any cars available or the fare will be unreasonably high. Am I worrying too much?
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
Seattle Traveling
Edited by Abner Coimbre on
I don't know if you plan to travel too much. I'm using SpeediShuttle: https://www.speedishuttleseattle.com/ for a ride from the airport to my hotel and vice-versa upon departure.

Uber works fine. A bit of money but not too much, and you can review all fares from all drivers with their ratings; you may link your card or PayPal with the Uber App and request a driver from there.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Seattle Traveling
We used Uber to get around Seattle yesterday and today.
Uber from airport to Mediterranean Inn hotel was ~35$.
From Mdeiterraneean hotel to yesterdays and todays dinner was ~10$.
If you take it together with somebody then it can be pretty cheap. We were typically 3-4 people per car.

Uber is rarely out of cars. They always have them available. You shouldn't worry about that.
You cannot review fares from all drivers. You get whatever fare the app shows you. And you either accept or decline it.
Neo Ar
165 posts / 1 project
riscy.tv host
Seattle Traveling
I use uber to get around as well. I think it is the best option generally; the only bad part is making awkward conversation with the drivers imo, but that depends on your personality