Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
The Annotation Pushers
Edited by Abner Coimbre on Reason: Miblo accepted team leadership. Updating to reflect that.
Yo.

I cannot be more appreciative of you guys for handling this so smoothly.

@Miblo, I'd like to entrust this team to you. I now need to work on getting a separate team of translators for both the website and annotations (Closed Captions much, much later on).

Special thanks to debiatan and csnover and all the others over at GitHub for working on these annotations. I always get messages of how much they find the Episode Guide much more helpful than the plain-old YouTube videos.
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
Annotator, supper gatherer and slammer of thunderous high fives
The Annotation Pushers
Yo Abner, I'd be happy to take the reins. I'm guessing the elevated privileges will enable me to add people to (and, dare I say, delete them from) the team, but is there anything else I'll need to do / be aware of?

Also, regarding the translations, etc: Dude, how good can this community actually get?
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
The Annotation Pushers
That's correct. You've been elevated, so abuse your powers responsibly. Regarding the translations and other efforts, I think we're just setting the stage for when the series *truly* takes off. That'll happen when Handmade Hero is released, and we need to be ready for that moment.
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
The Annotation Pushers
Edited by Matt Mascarenhas on Reason: Discovered an incident
Beautiful. Thank you, Abner! I do solemnly swear to abuse my powers responsibly. And to begin bracing myself already for the release.

By the way, folks, something seems to have gone awry with Travis. Today's annotations, Day 163, successfully built locally for me, but failed for Travis. Then, after running "npm install" again just to see if I got the same error as Travis (I didn't), and completely reinstalling, my local installation was busted in what seemed to be a different way. [strike]I'm working on fixing that, but would someone mind trying to build it on their end and maybe take[/strike] I've since fixed my installation by removing "~/.docpad.cson" and running `docpad update`, but would someone mind taking a look at Travis's error, just to see if something obvious sticks out? At a guess, maybe something's happened to that registry mentioned in the error and we just need to wait until it's fixed.

Update: After a bit of digging, I think we might have been affected by this incident. So my hope is that next time we give Travis something to build, it will work.
Miguel Lechón
78 posts / 2 projects
The Annotation Pushers
You were right, Miblo. I've pushed a small formatting change to my annotations of day 163 to trigger a rebuild and travis isn't complaining anymore.
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
The Annotation Pushers
Phew! What a relief.

You know, I was wondering about editing the timecodes from the stub part of it to match yours from the main annotations. Do you have any thoughts about this? I mean, I've just done the stub for Day 164 using short timecodes, pretty much out of habit, but if you prefer to use the full H:MM:SS format then I'll use that in the stubs.
Miguel Lechón
78 posts / 2 projects
The Annotation Pushers
Given the current formatting of the episode guide, where the annotations are limited to a column 1/3rd of the screen width, I think short time codes are marginally preferable.
I use the long version when I edit because it saves me a couple of keystrokes here and there, but switching the annotations of an episode to the short version takes maybe ten seconds. Let's do it your way.
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
The Annotation Pushers
Alright, let's do that. Cheers for mentioning saving keystrokes, by the way. You spurred me on to make a long-overdue macro (in vim).
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
The Annotation Pushers
Hey guys, I found an issue in the annotation guide:

Day 118 is entitled "Enforcing a video frame rate" on the table of contents, which is actually the title of day 018. Additionally, Day 018's video is embedded on the page instead of the proper one.

That being said, I'd also like an invitation to the github to help with the annotation effort in general, so I can fix this if you add me to the team.

Thanks,
-- Andrew
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
The Annotation Pushers
Thanks, Andrew! Day 118 is now fixed, the table of contents updated automagically, and you have been invited to the team. Good to have you on board, my first recruit!