Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
Math, is there a list of relevant Khan A. courses?
Is there a list of relevant Khan Academy courses? (Preferably by episode so I could do the course before I start the episode)

I'm on day 47 and I feel I need to do the math myself to learn it properly.

(I also left the initial math of Vectors not being 100% sure I got it, I think I understand it but I couldn't explain it correctly to anyone.)

I could here blame my lack of understanding on having math in Norwegian rather than English, but I'd rather blame it on me being a bored and bad student too long ago.
Bill Strong
50 posts
There isn't a list that i know of. Though Khan Academy has subjects grouped into a relatively sane method of advancement.

I would start with the Precalculus section, if you have the basics of Jr High Algebra down. You can also do a search on Khan Academy itself, and it can provide a "Personalized Vector Experience," as they put it. This will probably test what you know already, and work on the parts you don't.

To be clear, he talks about quite a few concepts in that video, and Vectors are barely brushed upon and then used.

In your normal Algebraic equation that is drawn on a 2D plane with an x and a y, the vector is simple where any two points meat. The x and the y location. With the x location and the y location, you can know what its direction is, or in terms of the earlier math, its angle.

But Khan Academy can help you out better than I can.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/precalculus
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
Just tried PreCalc. I believe its a lot in the language, so I'll need to start from the beginning so I know what I know (but remember under another name.) (Khan academy seemed to believe I should understand much more than I understood, after I answered some questions.)

Really seems like I'll need to learn Latex (notation?) to understand example, since I don't have issue understanding the math in ASCII code.

Also the language, understanding what he means by Theta and Delta and so on... In the current context.

TL;DR: I guess what I need most is a terminology cheat sheet. I don't remember enough to know what I need to translate for the pieces to fall into place.

I believe I'll push on with following the code and hope my knowledge falls into place before my understanding falls apart :)

(This Reply was mostly a way to think about the problem.)
44 posts
Edited by rizoma on
I'm stuck with Handmade hero Math (Confused about integration & derivation relationship in the fundamental equation of motion), so I'm doing precalculus at Khan Academy, is this a good idea? any suggestion?

I see this post is from month ago, Jim how is goin now?
Cheers
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
When I went down into courses trying to understand the math that was being done I was just bombarded with jargon I didn't understand so I needed to go down a level to understand the jargon, but I only seemed to find more jargon so I decided to just push on with the coding hoping the pieces would fall into place or I would go back to the details later.

A lot of the pieces regarding the code does fall into place and some of the math I didn't get also did but not close to enough.

I just caught up to the series (doing about 240 episodes in 6-7months) so I'm kind of in reflection mode, trying to see what I actually learned (I wrote all the code along with the videos) but the more complex math has not stuck, if it ever made contact.
44 posts
Thanks Jim for replying,

Your words make me think that maybe I'm doing good dropping HH for a while and do some Math.
It's hard. I found myself digging in a lot of stuff that I never understood. ( I never liked math when I was young)
Khan Academy is really helping since lot of times I can track the fundamental necessary for that topic easily digging into comments, of I can post a question.
I started the pre-calculus stuff but lot of times I'm bouncing back and forth...
I'm now looking for even basic polynomial long division (I never knew that even exist...) or other basic stuff and I have same problem with language since I'm from Italy, so... I think I can really undestand you!
If you backtrack a lot things start to be easy and even fun... (You have to kind of surrender to that) put faith that those stuff will then become really usefull tools for coding.

I bought one of those Notebooks with rings and I'm back to 1year Highschool...
I'm trying to be patience....

It's really important to share thoughts about this learning process since it can be confusing and sometime is easy to get lost...
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
Yeah I'm not sure really, the math heavy episodes are very few really.

I'm more interested in the coding than the technical math (which might sound weird/faulty) so I just wrote the code and tried to understand what it did and pushed on through and I'm glad I did because I have gotten a lot further along towards being a competent C/c++ programmer rather than a mathematician.

But of course I'll need to delve into the math later to fill in the holes, but from my experience that will be easier if I take a break after having tried hard the first time.
44 posts
I don't know maybe you knew more math than me. I had problems even with dimentional analysis..
I found that doing some math is really refreshing the way I think about problems... :cheer: