Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
217 posts
CreateWindow with the drawable size equal to the width and height pass in.
Edited by longtran2904 on Reason: Initial post
The CreateWindow function creates a window with a size equal to the drawable area and the little header title. So the drawable size of the window is always smaller than what I want. How to create a window with a drawable size equal to the size that I pass in.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Edited by Simon Anciaux on
You need to use AdujstWindowRect. You give it the desired size and position (the client rect/area) and it will give you the window rect/area to use in CreateWindow.
217 posts
Can the CreateWindow create a fullscreen window? If it can then what parameter should I pass in? I looked into the document but it didn't mention it.
217 posts
It doesn't work. Here's my code:
RECT rect;
rect.left = 0;
rect.right = 1280;
rect.top = 0;
rect.bottom = 720;
AdjustWindowRect(&rect, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW|WS_VISIBLE, 0); // The function return true
HWND window = CreateWindowEx(
    windowClass.lpszClassName,
    "Title",
    WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW|WS_VISIBLE,
    CW_USEDEFAULT,
    CW_USEDEFAULT,
    rect.right,
    rect.bottom,
    NULL,
    0);

// Some place else
RECT clientRect;
GetClientRect(window, &clientRect); // (1272, 689)

It's output:
Begin: rect = (1280, 720)
Adjust: rect = (1288, 728)
GetClientRect: rect = (1272, 689)
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
You can use the WS_POPUPWINDOW style to remove all decoration and set the size to the screen size to get a fullscreen borderless window.

You need to pass the value you got back from AdjustWindowRect to CreateWindowEx.

HWND window = CreateWindowEx(
    windowClass.lpszClassName,
    "Title",
    WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW|WS_VISIBLE,
    rect.left,
    rect.top,
    rect.right - rect.left,
    rect.bottom - rect.top,
    NULL,
    0);

217 posts
You're right. Changing the width and height from
rect.right, rect.bottom
to
rect.right - rect.left, rect.bottom - rect.up
fix it. I can still keep the x and y to CW_USEDDEFAULT and it still works. After some test, I found out that left and top are usually negative (to hide the title bar out of sight), so if you want to see it, you should set x, y to 0 or CW_USEDDEFAULT.
217 posts
A problem that I encounter is AdjustWindowRect wouldn't work with a rect that contains CW_USEDEFAULT (e.g Rect rect = { .left = 0, .right = CW_USEDEFAULT, .top = 0, .bottom = CW_USEDEFAULT). CW_USEDEFAULT only works when I pass in directly into CreateWindowEx. I can just check if both the width and height are valid or not, but sometimes I only want either width or height to be CW_USEDEFAULT. Is there any way to know up front what the width and height for CW_USEDEFAULT is before calling CreateWindowEx?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
CW_USEDEFAULT is not any particular size. It can be anything depending on whatever Windows decides based on monitor size, dpi settings, etc...

If you want to use "default" size then there is no need to AdjustWindowRect at all. Because it will be arbitrary size anyway. So simply create window, and query its size afterwards with GetClientRect when window is already created. Without any calls to AdjustWindowRect.
217 posts

Sometimes I want the window to have a specific width and a default height, or vise versa. But CreateWindowEx wouldn't work if only the height argument is CW_USEDEFAULT. It needs both the height and width to be CW_USEDEFAULT.

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Replying to longtran2904 (#24968)

I don't think there is way to do that on creation. Best you can do is to create window with both width/height USEDEFAULT and then resize it to actual size you need.

217 posts

How can I resize a window?

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Replying to longtran2904 (#24972)

With SetWindowPos function.