Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
42 posts / 1 project
Should modern C++ be ignored?
Edited by Arnon on Reason: Initial post
So, that "write C in C++" style that people like C.M and J.B are advocating, do people find that prevelant in the industry?
Or is it mostly just "Modern C++ FTW" everywhere, and C.M/J.B's approach/opponion is just an insignificant niche?
I really like where they're going with it, in terms of the mind-set, but I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to just ignore the whole modern C++ stuff and stick with mostly C - from the perspective of getting a real job in the real world...
Thought?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
I've seen and experienced both ends of spectrum. Depends on what kind of company and what kind of team you work with.
42 posts / 1 project
So, to rephrase, you're saying that the answer to the qustion of whethere it's beneficial or not, dependa on what the dominant view is in a place that you want to work at? How do you even figure this out ahead of time?
Or are you saying that you should choose the place you want to work at based on the view they hold and how compatible it is to yours?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Well in my case I just do what's necessary, I don't mind writing high level C++ code. Any code is fine with me.

But to know that ahead of time - you do that in the interview. Interview is not one way street. During interview you should be not only answering questions, but asking them. A lot. You should be evaluating your new potential colleagues, how they work, what they work on, what are "best practices", how are decisions made, who makes them, etc... I have been conducting a ton of interviews, and in my experience the best candidates we hired were ones that showed interested and asked meaningful questions about our work. If I finish interview and I ask candidate "do you have any questions to me" and the only thing they ask is "what time do people come into office"... well you can imagine what that means.