Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Ted Bendixson
28 posts / 2 projects
I make apps and games for Mac OS and iOS. Creator of Mooselutions and Skate Dice. Avid terrain park snowboarder. Charlottesville, VA.
Handmade Hero Starting With OSX Platform Layer
Edited by Ted Bendixson on Reason: Initial post
Hey everyone,

I've started up a tutorial series that attempts to follow the Handmade Hero series as if Casey had started on a Mac instead of a P.C. I'm hoping it'll help people who are beginning from a Mac and don't want to go buy a P.C. just to follow along.

First article here:
https://medium.com/@theobendixson...platform-layer-day-1-9348559e9211

I've also got a public Github Repo with folders for each day, which I plan to complete as I follow along and write tutorials for the Mac OS platform layer.

Github Repo:
https://github.com/TheoBendixson/...Hero-OSX-Platform-Layer-Tutorials

I also want to give an absurd amount of thanks to Casey and Jeff Buck, without whom none of this would be possible. I finally feel like I'm learning something new and valuable in my career and I can only hope to share that with others who are similarly motivated.

Cheers,
-Ted
2 posts / 1 project
Handmade Hero Starting With OSX Platform Layer
G'day Ted,

I just registered here so I could say thanks and great work on these articles!

They're really well written and paced, and I'm having fun doing a little translation from objective-c to swift as I go through them.

Working on a non-Xcode project (just using Xcode as a text editor) really made me appreciate how much I rely on auto-complete for using the Apple frameworks and libraries - don't know what you've got 'til it's gone and all that. I ended up making an Xcode command-line project to do the dev in, then in my build bash file I copy the file out of there into the 'clean' handmade style folder. Seems to work pretty well.

Please keep up the great series!

And now, for everyone else's benefit - here are the next few articles Ted's written:

Day 002 Article
Day 002 Repo

Day 003 Article
Day 003 Repo

Day 004 Article
Day 004 Repo