Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Sander Boer
2 posts
where did this multigrid lighting idea come from ?
Hi,

I found casey's harebrained scheme to lighting refreshing and I am always on the lookout for lighting schemes that values artistic merit over physical accuracy, if only for the fact that physical accurate rendering is a rabbit hole so deep we have not found the end yet. F.i. there is a gdc video on the render design approaches taken to render Inside, very nice.

I am excited to see where this leads and how it will look, but I am also curious where casey came up with it. The only mention of multigrid lighting is the hh video.

Any ideas where it originates from, or where to find more info ?

thx
s
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
where did this multigrid lighting idea come from ?
sndr
Any ideas where it originates from, or where to find more info ?

I pulled it completely out of my butthole. Multigrid schemes are common in continuum dynamics (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multigrid_method), but they are not really meant for things that propagate instantaneously over long distances, as light does. My thought was, though, for diffuse lights, maybe it would work, since diffuse lights _don't_ propagate over long distances, and could be said to be slightly more like fluids (if only very slightly :P ).

I wouldn't call it one of my better ideas!

- Casey