Handmade Hero » Forums » HandmadeCon » Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
boagz57
Jason
113 posts
#21534 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 4 days ago Edited by Jason on Aug. 28, 2019, 4:01 p.m. Reason: Initial post

So I I'm currently using C++ for some side projects I'm doing and the more I use this language the more I despise it. I know there are better languages out there but I also know a lot of them are non-starters for low level programming (mainly due to garbage collecting or other restrictions on memory management). I was wondering if any had an experience with or opinions on D or Nim (both of which have optional GC's as far as I understand)? Those are the languages at least I think have the best chance, from my cursory readings, of fulfilling my needs. I know there is also Odin which obviously has good goals as a language but of course is still very early in development. Though I might not be opposed to using it and just working on developing it myself since it would be interesting to me.
ratchetfreak
467 posts
#21535 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 4 days ago

Last I checked (half a decade ago) D was essentially unusable with GC disabled. Most of the standard library and a few core features depend on the GC to manage memory.

The straightforward answer is a C-like subset of C++. Consciously don't use the esoteric features of C++ that you find to be an obstacle to your productivity.
Guntha
35 posts
#21541 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 4 days ago

To back up what ratchetfreak said, here's a presentation about someone who chose a subset of C++:
https://www.slideshare.net/Richar...restrictions-for-game-programming
It's more oriented for team projects (so I guess some of it doesn't apply for your side projects), and for game projects, but it explains the thought process to choose which features to exclude.

I had a tiny experience with Rust, and it's a language I would consider for some projects, if there wasn't its build system (cargo) that... shouldn't exist at all? And in the end, I guess we should also use only a subset of it ^^'
shwa
Joshua
1 posts
#21544 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 4 days ago

If this is just for side projects then Odin is more than usable. People are currently using it for games, compilers, fluid-sims, all manner of things. Definitely give it a try if you haven't, I think you'll enjoy it :)
Mór
80 posts

None

#21546 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 4 days ago Edited by Mór on Aug. 29, 2019, 9:33 a.m.

I like simple tools. C-99 is one of them. C is as simple as possible without sacrificing control of your computer and it runs the fastest outside of assembly.

C++ is horribly complex. Invented by a dude that never made anything else. C was made by a programmer that built things that changed the world.

Compare their resumes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjarne_Stroustrup

The only other language I am curious about is Jai, but its not out yet. :(

None
boagz57
Jason
113 posts
#21549 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 3 days ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

"If this is just for side projects then Odin is more than usable. People are currently using it for games, compilers, fluid-sims, all manner of things. Definitely give it a try if you haven't, I think you'll enjoy it :)"

Ya, if I find I have the drive I might check it out. Would be a good learning experience since I'm sure I would have to look into the language source at some point.

"The only other language I am curious about is Jai, but its not out yet. :( "

Ya man, I've been stalking his twitter account everyday for updates on this language. I'm so ready for it. Hope it works out
zargy
1 posts
#21551 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
2 weeks, 3 days ago

Seconding Odin. Bill's discord is quite active and there's always people willing to help. I've been using it and so far I'm having a really good time.
subtext
5 posts
#21567 Suggestions for possible languages to switch to (from c++)
1 week, 4 days ago

boagz57

"The only other language I am curious about is Jai, but its not out yet. :( "

Ya man, I've been stalking his twitter account everyday for updates on this language. I'm so ready for it. Hope it works out

You mean.. I'm not the only one? :'-)