We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
aky
10 posts
following along on Windows 10 running on a cloud-based VM? (Paperspace)
Edited by aky on

Hi all,

I don't have a Windows PC atm and I was wondering if this might be a viable short-term alternative to follow along with the Handmade Hero coding until I get one:

https://www.paperspace.com/core

More specifically, I was wondering if anyone has experience trying to follow along on a Windows 10 VM instance (running as Windows Server 2022 in desktop mode) and if so, does it work well?

Their $0.45/hr instance has 8 CPUs, 30 GiB RAM and Quadro M40000.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts

https://hero.handmade.network/forums/game-discussion/t/7235/p/22390

aky
10 posts
Replying to mrmixer (#26262)

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if (technically) running Windows on a cloud instance specifically designed to be usable (according to their sales blurb at least) is the same thing as running it on my Mac via VirtualBox or whatever, but I admit I don't have the technical chops to know one way or the other.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
Edited by Simon Anciaux on

I don't know that it will be a good experience, but if it can display a window, it should work at least up to when Casey starts using OpenGL (assuming you can install VisualStudio).

Maybe it would be better to work on a local Virtal Machine (virtual box like you said) but I assume that if you're asking you can't do that.

aky
10 posts
Replying to mrmixer (#26265)

I think I'll give it a shot (with Paperspace). Any chance you could tell me approximately which commit I might try compiling and running to see whether OpenGL works or not? That way in the worst case scenario I waste a couple of dollars, that's all.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
Replying to aky (#26273)

You can search "OpenGL" in the episode guide at the top of the forum.

I believe the first OpenGL thing is on day 235 and uses "legacy" OpenGL APIs. Modern OpenGL might start around day 372 but I didn't check properly.

Tobias Wolf
10 posts / 1 project

Can't one kind of easily swap the Windows platform layer with another one?

aky
10 posts
Edited by aky on
Replying to Mega Wolf (#26277)

Is it easy? I'm on MacOS 12.

I'm sure it's doable - and I have seen people having put tutorials for it, albeit from a few years ago - but I'm trying to overcome the "getting started" inertia.

If there's a reliable & up-to-date resource for building the platform layer on MacOS, then that works too.

aky
10 posts
Replying to mrmixer (#26274)

Thank you.