Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari
35 posts
|· noise ·|
Didactics, the most underestimated subject matter.
Edited by Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari on
I don't know why, wherever I go, whichever website I visit, anything that even remotely attempts to teach something, this includes schools and universities, never address the subject matter known as didactics.

Most people seem to be obsessed with learning stuff to make money without investing time in philosophical pondering, most importantly on how to reach the desired goal.

People like Sal Khan have understood the importance of didactics and of changing the way didactics have worked since the advent of the Prussian educational model(now almost two centuries old.) I am wondering when systems like Khan Accademy or Handmade Hero's stream will prevail as the de facto educational system as opposed to traditional schools and universities.

It seems that by labelling people, we condemn them to stupidity, but by ignoring their stupidity and ours we will never realize just how stupid we really are, and that there is a lot of potential wasted.

The growth mentality mindset is a way of life. It is the idea that we can improve the performance of our brains by exercising it, just like one would exercise muscles in a gym.

Most scolding for not understanding backfires the teaching intention; Boring, repetitive, non experimental tasks are the enemy of learning; yet the predominant educational system is based on such notions.

Praising students by effort as op...struggles and one that surrenders.

But does society wait for the struggling student for him/her to become proficient in a profession?

I think that by survival pressures, the student is constrained to defer mastery for practical, occupational purposes.
Andreas
25 posts / 1 project
Didactics, the most underestimated subject matter.
Edited by Andreas on
Pretty much agree with everything above. The labelling mentality that seems to prevail in our society is something I very much go against in particular as it implies that a human is only capable of acquiring any significant amount of skill in one narrow field, which is also usually attributed to their "talent". This I think make people hesitant to try new things as they feel they are not "capable". Don't have any data to back that up though but that's the impression I get sometimes.