Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
aky
10 posts
anyone following along on Mac running Windows on a VM?
Edited by aky on
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro running MacOS Catalina. I've seen the thread about the Mac platform layer, but I'd rather just follow along with the original series if I can. (I purchased the "Handmade Hero All Builds w/ Full Source" bundle as soon as I saw it, but haven't actually started watching the series yet, except part of the first video some months ago.)

Wondering if anyone has been following along on a recent Mac computer (and successfully building the code) with any of the options for running Windows (Bootcamp, Parallels, or whatever else)? If so, could you detail what your configuration is (hardware, which virtualization software, version of Windows, etc.) and how hassle-free is the experience?

I've never cared to run Windows on my Mac laptop before now, it's only because of this series that I'm considering it.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
I will be fine at the beginning - any of VM's will work. But later Casey switches to fairly modern OpenGL for rendering, and I doubt the VM software will support that on Mac.
aky
10 posts
Thanks for the reply! So that would eliminate VMs, but that still leaves open Bootcamp as a possibility, no?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Yes, assuming you can install reasonable GPU drivers with OpenGL support on Windows running on mac hardware (I've no idea, never used it).
aky
10 posts
So if I opt to try Bootcamp, would you (or anyone else) have an opinion of which Windows version would be best?
I don't intend to use Windows for any other purpose besides building and running Handmade Hero code.
My machine has 16GB RAM and Intel UHD Graphics 630 (integrated) and Radeon 560X (discrete) if it matters.