Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Anders
20 posts
Professional (non-game)developer living in Stockholm, Sweden. Born '84. Gamer since five years of age, computer nerd since six.
Handmade Hero Word Search Project
Edited by Anders on
Hello, for the last few days I've been working on a little web app project.

The goal is to create a webpage where you can search for words and phrases, and then get a list of hits for where Casey utters those words.

So if you'd like to know when he talks about a certain topic, you could just search on this webpage and see all the episodes where he talks about that.

The hard part (or tedious rather) is getting the transcriptions. So far I've only transcribed 10 of the episodes, using the Google Cloud CLI and the Handmade Hero video files hosted as a torrent.

It's pretty easy to get the transcription sources if you're the owner of the youtube videos yourself as youtube automatically does this for closed captions, but as I am not the owner of Casey's youtube channel I had to do it this way instead.

Any help with getting all 500+ transcriptions would be awesome. If you have any kind of transcription tool (they're expensive) or similar, holla at me.

Ultra alpha-version looks like this.

As you can see, it works pretty well. But it's only single words so far, and sometimes the transcriptions aren't 100% correct, as the first "dude" click shows.

Miles
131 posts / 4 projects
It looks like youtube does actually generate auto captions for all the handmade hero videos (or at least for several videos I checked at random). There should be a way to download these programmatically - for example I know that there are sites and extensions that allow you to download them manually, although I don't know how they do it exactly. Maybe the source code for one of those extensions could have the answer?
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
youtube-dl can download captions and it's code source is available (python).

If it's legal and Casey is ok with that, it would be nice to have a page with all the captions to be able to search text which is in my opinion more useful than searching for a place in the video. And maybe it could be integrated with the episode guide ?
Anders
20 posts
Professional (non-game)developer living in Stockholm, Sweden. Born '84. Gamer since five years of age, computer nerd since six.
Edited by Anders on
Cool! I'll check the tool out!

And yes, perhaps search text only is more useful. I.e to search phrases and words through the captions, and perhaps also other features. The youtube link part could be a minor feature to it, not the sole feature :)
XP1
4 posts

Maybe this will help.

Handmade Hero subtitles:

https://github.com/XP1/Handmade-Hero-subtitles