Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Robert Hickman
7 posts
Conflict of intent?
Edited by Robert Hickman on Reason: Initial post
HMH presents as a project to create a complete game, and Casey has mentioned an intent to release it on Steam. However, Casey as also stated numerous times that he is not a game designer. To me this seems like a conflict of interests; how can HMH become an interesting game without game design?

Casey does seem to have some idea about what the mechanics of the game should be, although I don't think they have been discussed anywhere. A limbless child getting a magical glove that allows them to manipulate things (for the first time?) is a good idea, but would need fleshing out to be a compelling game.
Marc Costa
65 posts
Conflict of intent?
Casey has also mentioned numerous times that HMH is a game programming project, not a game design one. The target audience for the project are programmers, interested in game engines and low level programming in general.
511 posts
Conflict of intent?
Also limbless person with gloves that float around him is a bit too much like Rayman I think to have much success before the cease and desist arrives in the mail.
Robert Hickman
7 posts
Conflict of intent?
@Marcc I am aware of that.

ratchetfreak
Also limbless person with gloves that float around him is a bit too much like Rayman I think to have much success before the cease and desist arrives in the mail.

I disagree, the basic mechanics of the two are pretty different, with HMH being tile-based, and only allowing you to stand on tiles, while Rayman is a 'prototypical' platformer. I think you could get very different mechanics out of it.