Handmade Hero » Forums » Game » Conflict of intent?
robhickman
Robert Hickman
7 posts
#16993 Conflict of intent?
4 months ago Edited by Robert Hickman on Dec. 18, 2018, 8:44 p.m. Reason: Initial post

HMH presents as a project to create a complete game, and Casey has mentioned an intent to release it on Steam. However, Casey as also stated numerous times that he is not a game designer. To me this seems like a conflict of interests; how can HMH become an interesting game without game design?

Casey does seem to have some idea about what the mechanics of the game should be, although I don't think they have been discussed anywhere. A limbless child getting a magical glove that allows them to manipulate things (for the first time?) is a good idea, but would need fleshing out to be a compelling game.
marcc
Marc Costa
36 posts
#16995 Conflict of intent?
4 months ago

Casey has also mentioned numerous times that HMH is a game programming project, not a game design one. The target audience for the project are programmers, interested in game engines and low level programming in general.
ratchetfreak
441 posts
#16996 Conflict of intent?
4 months ago

Also limbless person with gloves that float around him is a bit too much like Rayman I think to have much success before the cease and desist arrives in the mail.
robhickman
Robert Hickman
7 posts
#17003 Conflict of intent?
4 months ago

@Marcc I am aware of that.

ratchetfreak
Also limbless person with gloves that float around him is a bit too much like Rayman I think to have much success before the cease and desist arrives in the mail.

I disagree, the basic mechanics of the two are pretty different, with HMH being tile-based, and only allowing you to stand on tiles, while Rayman is a 'prototypical' platformer. I think you could get very different mechanics out of it.