Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
50 posts
What I've learned from Casey
Edited by itzjac on
So almost all the learning I did was from books (mostly in russian).

Side note 2.

I strongly believe that your mother language helps or complicates learning new stuff.

Russian seems to be a language that have helped a lot people to learn complex things.

All my practical programming skills comes from experimenting on your own.

I second you, any real knowledge I have in the computing area or programming, comes from experimenting on my own. A little like learning how to play a music instrument, but if you have a great professor or guide helping you it will definitely take you beyond and at a faster pace.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
I don't see knowing Russian language helped me be better or worse programmer. Learning programming from Russian books wasn't really my choice. It was just a thing that was available where I was growing up. I had one book in my native language though, that was pretty good and I've read it many times (Kā Pēcis Beiskāns Maiju Saprātiņu programmēt mācīja).
50 posts
Edited by itzjac on
I don't see knowing Russian language helped me be better or worse programmer.

I didn't want to point out that you were reading books in Russian and that helped you learning stuff.

At the office we have discussed, that the Russian language itself has a special way to wire up people's logic when they are kids, and that enhance them to be better at learning, or to be tolerant to struggle.

These are observations through the years, in different companies working with people all around the world. We agree that the nature of certain languages are just simpler to learn than others, and that perhaps makes one lazier. You been a programmer that speaks Russian as your mother language (I assume), perhaps you have experienced the same observations.

Anyways, I am happy to read your background story. Thanks
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
IMO if somebody travels outside the country to work somewhere else then this usually means they are above average in their skills. Otherwise companies won't hire bad foreign worker. So if you are working with foreign nationality developer regardless of their nationality then there is a big chance they are smart/good/better than average local one. That's kind of my observation, I have worked with really skillful Russian people and with some very bad ones (skill-wise).

You been a programmer that speaks Russian as your mother language (I assume)

Not really. Language in my family is my native one - Latvian. Russian is something I learned because I was growing up in country that was part of USSR. So you had Russian language everywhere - in school, on street, shops, TV, etc.. ~20y ago my Russian language was OK, nowadays it is really bad - I have forgotten a lot of words and my pronunciation is terrible because I use it very rarely. Once I got access to internet (late 90s) I pretty much switched to English for getting information I needed.