Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Zachary
17 posts
Nod from Jason Gregory
Edited by Zachary on
I picked up Game Engine Architecture 2ed. the other day, written by Jason Gregory, the lead programmer over at Naughty Dog (they make the Uncharted series, and recently The Last Of Us).

In the first chapter, he breaks down some components of a typical 3D game engine, which includes character animation. He says of the Granny toolkit (developed by Casey); "In my opinion, the Granny SDK has the best-designed and most logical animation API of any I've seen, commercial or proprietary,..."

Just thought it was a neat find; I guess we should listen to Casey when he talks about compression-oriented programming and writing the usage code first ;)
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Nod from Jason Gregory
Wow - thanks Jason, wherever you are!

- Casey
Zachary
17 posts
Nod from Jason Gregory
Edited by Zachary on
Still reading the book, more great praise for Casey (pg 670, 12.3.5.5: Detecting Convex Collisions: The GJK Algorithm):

"Many papers have been written on the [GJK] algorithm and its variants, including [...]. However, the easiest-to-understand (and most entertaining) description of the algorithm is probably Casey Muratori's instructional video entitled "Implementing GJK," available online at http://mollyrocket.com/849. Because these descriptions are so good, I'll just give you a feel for the essence of the algorithm here and then direct you to the Molly Rocket website [...]."

Right now, I'm flipping back and forth from watching Casey's videos and reading this book, so it's entertaining to me when they collide :)
Zachary
17 posts
Nod from Jason Gregory
Watching the referenced video now.

How many HH pre-orders would it take to bring bearded Casey back?
Ruy Calderon
26 posts
Nod from Jason Gregory
That is an awesome video... now I'm waiting for the video of 10 year old Casey demystifying some (seemingly)complex algorithm to surface :P.