Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
Hi All

newcomer here, I've ask this question to Casey directly who suggested for me to post it up on here to see if anyone is using the same set up as he does not have much experience using VMs:

Right , I need some help with some virtual machine advice,

I am using a full spec Mac book pro 15 retina mid-2014 with the acception of a 1TB ssd drive as my main machine(my only machine I have due to being mobile for work.) When I initially stumble across the handmade hero videos , I was under
BOOTCAMP windows so I install VS 2013 on there and started doing intro C videos.

However I have parallels 10 for my Mac , and I was wondering would I still
be able to follow the game development videos using a Parallel's Windows 8.1 VM instead of Bootcamp?

If so...

Will the game require intensive graphics in the future? Casey did say it will use GPU but not how extensive this will be used. As in Parallels I can increase the gfx ram but I suppose this is not future proof or rather limited

Would I be limited to the number of logical processors I need for the game?

Say if I configure the VM to have 3 processors with 4gb ram and 256mb
graphics , would you think that will be enough?

Please advise if you can as this will be very helpful :D

Cheers

Zyco
27 posts
Virtual Machine Help
You shouldn't have a problem using Windows 8.1. Casey will eventually move the rendering to the graphics card with OpenGL, but that's a long way down the road. I don't think graphics will get very intense for a while so 256MB should be fine.

If I were you (which I am except on Linux) I'd work on an OSX platform layer so you can follow along without the VM. I'm currently porting it to Linux via X11.
popcorn
70 posts
Virtual Machine Help
I have OSX and I use VirtualBox and Windows 7 and I can follow the stream alright. It would be better if I had two monitors. I would recommend using about 4 GB of ram (not sure if 8 needs more or not) and increasing the video ram a bit as well.
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
Edited by Zyconite on
@Troncoso

Ah ok , way down the line i see.

Atm it does not look like the game will use a great amount of intensive(Crysis type) graphics overall. but hey I could be very wrong.

You see I was following the video to a T as I am a noob, also im not too clued up on how to start or setup up a game development within MAC OS X :/

I bbe happy for any pointers on how to set this up as I rather do that if I have a chance. :D

Thanks
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
@C0D3

nice one , I found VirtualBox a fiddle to use therefore prefer parallels for ease of use and customizability for like you said, upping the ram and video card.

I might try VMware Fusion since I think parallels is not working properly on my Macbook atm. all this for the joys of Visual Studio 2013!!
popcorn
70 posts
Virtual Machine Help
I must say VMWare is one of the best VMs and can do things that other VM can't do for malware research. You are prob in good hands with VMWare!
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
Edited by Zyconite on
@C0D3

ah yeah , it is good .

Ended up installing Bootcamp instead, hahahaha easiest thing i guess lol.

oh well :D
Marcelo Serpa
1 posts
Virtual Machine Help
I also use VirtualBox, works fine. I've used VMWare in the past (trial version), but never really found a reason to buy it, nor parallels, VirtualBox is pretty good for my needs, and it's open source :)
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
@FullOfCaffeine

I just ended up going back to windows :P

sold the macbook and brought me one of these

http://mysn.co.uk/xmg-p505-gaminglaptop with a 4gb GTX 980m and 2 ssds(one pcie x 4 and one sata 2) and 32gb ram

Its just simple and more effective to learn on the windows platform overall

Can always test stuff or learn how to port by using a VM mac os x or a linux flavor with Vmware workstation.

Thanks for all your help guys
Den V
19 posts
None
Virtual Machine Help
I had unpleasant experience with OSX + Parallels. Until recently, I was running older version of OSX, two versions behind the current one, I think it was Mountain Lion. I also had Parallels installed and licensed through my work. But as soon as I upgraded OSX to the most recent version, my Parallels stopped working, asking for an upgrade and license renewal. So beware of that issue.
6 posts
Virtual Machine Help
@den_v

Ah I see, I think Yosemite is Poo

But its all good now . I am back to windows with my super fast customaiable laptop :D

Thanks