Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Anders
20 posts
Professional (non-game)developer living in Stockholm, Sweden. Born '84. Gamer since five years of age, computer nerd since six.
Just getting started - any heads up in hindsight?
Edited by Anders on Reason: Initial post
Hello everyone, another professional developer (finally) chasing my childhood dream speaking:)

First of all, thank you so much for this brilliant idea and project. It is EXACTLY what I want to learn and how I want to learn it. :)

I'm about 25 episodes in (plus the intro) and I thought it would be a good time to ask for some general advice.

1. Are there any chunks in the development of handmade hero that's like "let's forget we even did this for 4 weeks and start anew"? Or any misconception about the code that lives on unnoticed for weeks and confused the hell out of people? I'm not gonna skip any episodes (unless you insist), but it's always nice to know beforehand to avoid unnecessary confusion etc.

2. As there's plenty of episodes left until I catch up, I tend to skip most Q&As, unless the episode was unusually hairy to me. So, I will probably miss some great Q&As that you remember as essential or at least extremely useful to watch. So if you remember any particular Q&A that you think I MUST/SHOULD watch, please do tell me. :)

In the meantime I'll tread on! Almost at the GAME now (and the black holes of complicated mathematics that I fear will drag me down )
511 posts
about the Q&As you can use the episode guide linked in the header to follow the series, every question is listed there so you can see what was asked and if any code changes happened because of the question.
Bill Strong
50 posts
Well, does the fact we start out intending to create a 2D engine and spend the first 300 or so videos on it before we decide it isn't quite working out for us, so we change it to a 3D engine count? It is good for learning, and you can't really skip those episodes, but just a heads up, we end up with a 3D engine we use with a 2D top down view.
Anders
20 posts
Professional (non-game)developer living in Stockholm, Sweden. Born '84. Gamer since five years of age, computer nerd since six.
Thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to check every episode in that guide and it's only even more exciting that it'll turn into a 3d engine later on, as I was planning to learn 3d sooner or later anyway :)