Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
Radu
1 posts
Is there a Handmade Hero for game design yet?
Edited by Radu on Reason: Initial post
Hi everyone! I recently came across Handmade Hero (bit late to the party) and have been watching it on YouTube. I'm up to episode 30 now and I love the show.

Casey has already mentioned multiple times that he's not a game designer and his focus is on teaching programming rather than design. He even suggested that it would be great if someone made a similar show to teach game design.

So now that we're in the future, does something like this exist yet? If not, do you think there would be any interest for such a show?
Lost Astronaut Studios
42 posts / 1 project
ZeroTypes, Pixitron lostastronaut.com Handmade: The Coders Who Say NIH
Edited by Lost Astronaut Studios on
We're seeing way more of that with The Melodist devlogs .. shorter form videos with game design substance at the forefront.

Well, I guess since my project didn't get accepted I've decided to move on. Bye.
Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari
35 posts
|· noise ·|
Game design is so easy that nobody should be teaching it. If one needs to be told how to design a game then one shouldn't be a designer. It's mostly about knowing what's been released and trying to make something original. And if one wants to make a living one needs also to know what has been sold enough.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
I'm not a game designer, but that doesn't sound right. With same logic there should not any art schools or painting lessons.
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Edited by Ryan Fleury on
gazto
Game design is so easy that nobody should be teaching it. If one needs to be told how to design a game then one shouldn't be a designer. It's mostly about knowing what's been released and trying to make something original. And if one wants to make a living one needs also to know what has been sold enough.

I don't think so--I can agree that one cannot teach another how to be creative, but they can give them tools that can be used to express their creativity. This holds true in all creative processes (including game design).