Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
3 posts
Math Books
Any recommendations on books that are particularly useful for learning the maths mentioned in last night's stream (2015 Jan 12)?
Ale
12 posts
Math Books
this is a good! book http://www.amazon.com/Math-Primer...&sr=1-1&keywords=math+primer+game
3 posts
Math Books
Thanks, kitango. I'll check it out.
Andrew Bromage
183 posts / 1 project
Research engineer, resident maths nerd (Erdős number 3).
Math Books
This old SIGGRAPH course on physically-based modelling is pretty good. You'll need to be comfortable (though not an expert necessarily) with school-level calculus and vectors, but it introduces differential equations for you.

I doubt that Handmade Hero will use this, but it's all good to know.
Joel Davis
20 posts
Math Books
I'll suggest this one:

Geometric Tools for Computer Graphics, Shneider & Eberly

Really nice reference, contains lots quick recipes like "How do I intersect a line with a cylinder". It's meant for implementers, often when you find things online it's hard to make the leap from pure math to working code, this has implementation tips and even pseudocode in some cases. It also contains a nice summary of linear algebra in the first part of the book.

As far as learning the maths, keep in mind you don't have to learn this all at once. Just use this stuff as you encounter a need for it.
3 posts
Math Books
Thanks for the recommendations. I've started to check them out.

I didn't find the old thread until Casey mentioned it in the stream, but here's a link to the original Mat...ok question under Code Discussion.