Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
28 posts
Coding along with the series - day 29
Edited by lclhstr on
Mattias Pettersson
1 posts
Edited by Mattias Pettersson on Reason: more info
On the topic of how to view while coding I used to use VLC with ~33% transparency and always on top with my editor in the background. It worked fine because Casey's colors and font are clearly distinguishable from my own so it's not too hard to focus on whatever you wanted to focus on. I mainly did it because I didn't have two monitors at the time though. And I eventually gave up at ~day 15 because it didn't feel productive anymore.

edit:This only works well if you only use the keyboard when editing. If you're using the mouse you'd find yourself clicking the VLC window a lot and losing focus on the editor, which is annoying.

But that's how I did it and it felt fine. Worth a try maybe.
Basically just did what's detailed here:
http://superuser.com/questions/37...and-transparent-when-out-of-focus
And VLC can play youtube links as network streams, so it's very easy to get the video into VLC.

Good luck and keep it up!
28 posts
Edited by lclhstr on
117 posts
Code hacker/developer
Omg, you've done a lot of the series! Where were you at as a programmer before you started? I've loosely followed the series (not actually typing the code) and am thinking about actually coding it up from scratch but it's a serious, serious endeavor and I'm not sure how much use it would be vs actual coding time alone.

BTW, EVERYONE WITH WRIST ISSUES FROM YOUR MOUSE,GET ONE OF THESE. Like, I'm not here to advertise, but RSI is no joke and I've had problems but I literally have ZERO problems with that mouse and my Fellowes Ergonomic keyboard. Keep in mind these are suggestions for coding. If you're a crazy hardcore gamer, it may be hard to game at first with these but honestly, you get used to them and they literally remove all pain. Another great option for a mouse is this one (but I prefer the Evoluent because it is a little less awkward.

But seriously, take priority for your health. It's worth the minor inconvenience at first.
Stas.L
Mór, I had same problems and fears. I Tried a 2 monitor setup - still did not work, because once you shift focus to the other monitor to type something, you don't see anything Casey's typing and it's even more frustrating. (Maybe if you're touch typing it's possible. I'm not so I don't know)

So yeah, I did starting and stopping the video for 60 episodes.
It took up to 3-3,5 hours per episode to type everything and understand the code.
But was worth it. I now work roughly as fast as Casey (was nowhere near it! it was shocking at first)

As far as RSI goes, I would definitely recommend vim. I guess this is individual, but I started having issues after ~1 year after HH started.
Now I switched to vim and about to start wearing braces like Casey. RSI is no joke.
75 posts
None
Edited by Mór on
Actually I take back my previous recommendation of the Kensington Expert mouse, as I'm feeling a minor twinge with my wrist again. So I will try a vertical mouse next, because its the natural position for your arm to be in.

I'd like to get this one because its a trackball, but they haven't made them in 10-15 years. Only really available second hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-T...arble-FX-Trackball/dp/B00000JBUI/
28 posts
Edited by lclhstr on