Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Cutscenes - monitors with different resolutions
What will happen if user has monitor with different aspect ratio than 16:9?

For example, I have 16:10 monitor with native resolution 1920x1200. How will game handle that? Display black bars top and bottom? For game itself it could be not a big deal - it could display game area bigger or smaller. But for cutscenes it is more critical, because layers are positioned in a way so no hard corners/edges are visible now.
Ideal
5 posts
you need to buy a new monitor
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Please be constructive, Petrov, and not trolling. 1920x1200 are still popular and for numerous reasons (i.e. more vertical space).

As regards to the cutscenes, I am guessing the cutscenes will be quite simple and can be zoomed/cropped to place so you will only need to know the aspect ratio of the window.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
I would buy new monitor, but only if they would release 4k display with 3840x2400 resolution (16:10). I like my vertical space. More lines of code visible, I find it very useful.

While custscenes are simple, the numbers Casey adjusts for placement, camera movement and speed are very tied to visible area on screen. Sure, while 16:10 is not that different from 16:9, it sill must be handled. It could be much worse on monitors with 5:4 (1280x1024) or other "ancient" resolutions :) But I guess that is not a priority for HH.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
HH doesn't really have the art resources to support multiple aspect ratios, so it will probably just be a requirement that it is 16:9, and you will get black bars if you do anything else.

For games with bigger budgets, it's often possible to author the artwork so that it will work OK with different aspect ratios, since the variety isn't that large.

- Casey