Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
27 posts
Keyboard and Controller Input Conflict
So, I had an issue where my keyboard input wouldn't work, and after much looking back over the videos and debugging, I found that my controller button processing was killing my keyboard updates. Did I miss something where Casey handled this? Basically, When I press the down key, the key state gets set like it should, then my code continues down and does Win32ProcessXInputDigitalButton on the A button of the non-existent game pad. This then clears the state that was set by the keyboard. My two input processing functions:

internal void win32ProcessXInputDigitalButton(DWORD buttonState, GameButtonState *oldState, DWORD buttonBit, GameButtonState *newState)
{
	newState->endedDown = ((buttonState & buttonBit) == buttonBit);
	newState->halfTransitionCount = (oldState->endedDown != newState->endedDown) ? 1 : 0;
}

internal void win32ProcessKeyboardMessage(GameButtonState *newState, bool32 isDown)
{
	newState->endedDown = isDown;
	newState->halfTransitionCount++;
}
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Casey decided to treat keyboard as controller 0, and alla gamepades as controllers 1 to 4.
So win32ProcessKeyboardMessage should be called only for Controller with index 0. And win32ProcessXInputDigitalButton will be called for Controllers with index from 1 to 4. They never change same GameButtonState structure.
27 posts
Haha. Thanks mate. It's always something small.