Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Marc Novakowski
12 posts
Watching YouTube videos in "fast" mode
I usually watch episodes on YouTube the day after the live broadcast because it fits better with my schedule. But I just discovered something today that is very useful and others may not know about it either - when you click on the "gear" icon at the bottom of the YouTube video (i.e. to change the resolution), there may also a "Speed" select box to either speed up or slow down the video. Available speeds are 0.25x, 0.5x, Normal, 1.25x, and 1.5x.

I just watched Day 017 at 1.25x and while it seemed a bit fast at first, by the end of the video I had forgotten that I was watching it in "fast" mode. On a 100 minute video, this just saved me 25 minutes (if my math is correct).

After looking into this a bit, I think this feature may only be available in the HTML5 player, which you can enable on your account by going to http://www.youtube.com/html5

Hope this helps!
Nines Baobaberson
37 posts
Watching YouTube videos in "fast" mode
Edited by Nines Baobaberson on
Yes! I do this too, it works great. I've tried a few different workflows out. I'm probably most used to 1.5x, this is a good speed for listening and coding along, (albeit with lots if pausing to catch up).

Lately I've been watching once at 2x and just watching. Then after finishing a feature or two, I'll pause and try to implement it on my end. Then if I get stuck I'll go back and rewatch parts and jump around the video. Despite playback being 2x, it's not always any/much faster than just watching it through once at 1x (kind of depends on how much code is added that day).

I've also tried doing the whole thing at 1x and following along with my own code at the same time. This is actually pretty tough, it's hard to get code working and also have your mind register the explanation. Usually I'll either end up with working code but a flimsy understanding, or broken/incomplete code but a solid grasp of the concepts. This is why I like the watch-then-do method above.

I also tried the pure "follow along" method at half speed which made coding along very manageable but then when you hit a long explanation, half speed suddenly doesn't make sense. It makes Casey sound suuuuper drunk though, it's awesome. Especially if you're used to his voice at 1.5x speed. Highly recommended people try that once.

Another tip: add "_popup" after "watch" in the address bar, it'll make the video full screen.

so
/watch?v=WDB718JId4M

becomes
/watch_popup?v=WDB718JId4M

Since learning this I do it _all the time_.