Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
100 posts
Is there any special difference between legacy files and current?

When acquiring the game, there's a link to download all the files, source + art, both for current and "legacy".

What exactly is the "legacy"? Just the whole project up to a point? Or is there anything else?

cheers

Simon Anciaux
1340 posts

Nothing special, legacy is just the earlier source.

For the art, it contains different versions of the asset type system so you need to use correct version of the art files depending on the source you use. And I don't think there is a clear explanation for when hmh switches to one system or the other. You might get away with unpacking every thing at the correct location and properly setting the working directory (but there are details there that I forgot).

100 posts
Replying to mrmixer (#25997)

Is there any video where he explains the naming?

I went to vid 599 but didn't find anything.

Simon Anciaux
1340 posts

If you're speaking about how to use the assets to run the game, there should be a readme file in the source zip. I'm not sure it's up to date though.

What I remember is that you need the v2 hha's in the handmade/data directory, and run the game from the handmade directory.

I can't run the game (my CPU doesn't support aes instructions and I haven't looked at a way around that), so I can't help more than that.

100 posts
Replying to mrmixer (#26021)

Thx for the reply!

No, I'm actually just asking why he named that "legacy". Usually this means something significant in a project, like using a new technology that turns important things obsolete.

Simon Anciaux
1340 posts

I don't think there is anything special. The name is just there to tell you that if you want only the last files, you don't need to download legacy stuff.