Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Drawing multiple textures in one draw call

I was wondering how Casey ended up drawing multiple textures in one draw call? I remember he talked about that texture atlases are just one way of doing it, but never saw what Casey did.

My only understanding of how to do it is use a texture array and have an index for each instance. Is this a reasonable solution? What's the usual approach without using texture atlases? Are bindless textures relate to this?

Thanks 🙂

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on

He's doing array texture for that.

Alternative to that is doing texture atlas - then you need to be careful with padding & mipmaps. If you don't need mipmaps, then things are simple - do 1 extra padding if you're doing linear filtering (or do simple math in shader to clamp to item borders).

Bindless textures also help if you're ok with non-core extension, and not supporting older GPU's / driver versions. It allows to pass handle to texture inside vertex attribute or vertex buffer or any other kind of data structure you have in UBO/SSBO or otherwise. This way you can use different texture per each element you draw in the same draw call.

Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Edited by Oliver Marsh on

Thanks Martins, is the texture array Casey used sampler2darray?

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Replying to OliverMarsh (#25748)

Yes. You need to use sampler2DArray for array texture.

Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Edited by Oliver Marsh on

Sorry to bump this again, what's the equivalent to sampler2Darray in d3d11?

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects

D3D11 has separate sampler state from texture. For sample state you do your regular sampler object - that does not depend on texture type.

Then you define Texture2DArray on which you will use any sampler you want and pass float3 (u,v,index) for Sample() method: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3dhlsl/dx-graphics-hlsl-to-sample

Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Replying to mmozeiko (#25805)

thanks martins :)

Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io

Hi, just a couple more questions :)

How did Casey manage the texture2Darrays? Did he alter the texture data when the game needed to draw a new texture that hadn't been loaded yet? Would this be a map/unmap call in d3d11?

I should watch the specific videos casey did this, does anyone know which these ones are?

Thankyou :)

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Replying to OliverMarsh (#25820)

Last time I saw the that part code it updated slice of texture with glTexSubImage3D whenever needed.

On D3D you have different options - if you're updating often, then probably having staging texture (because you cannot write from cpu to default textures), then mapping/memcpy/unmap & copy to actual texture is probably best way. If that happens only occasionally, then UpdateSubresource is fine.

Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io

Thanks again Martins