Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Eric Thompson
4 posts
Unity Build and Simple Batch Build Files
I recently came across an interesting Github repo for a Global Illumination reference renderer.

https://github.com/lighttransport/nanogi

I was super interested until I got to the Dependencies and Build Requirements. Are you kidding me? talk about a non-starter.

Handmade Hero is such a breath of fresh air on all fronts - and this is coming from someone who has been in the industry for almost 25 years.
Dumitru Frunza
24 posts
Apprentice github.com/dfrunza/hoc
From the description (emphasis mine) :
nanogi is a small global illumination (GI) renderer intended...

If all the dependencies were factored in, then suddenly "small" sounds like false advertising.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I like that it depends on something called "ass imp".

- Casey
David Owens II
69 posts
A software engineer that enjoys living in enemy territory.
Hehe...

1.Install some dependencies

$ sudo ports install cmake boost glm tbb google-ctemplate

You know, just install some dependencies, no big deal... oh, of course, they will be tools put into your path and available for your entire system. Oh... and don't mind the fact that they need sudo access to install.

No biggie!
Andrew Bromage
183 posts / 1 project
Research engineer, resident maths nerd (Erdős number 3).
Now I realise its goals are more modest, however 99 lines and no external dependencies apart from the standard library is probably the record for "small" GI implementations. It even includes a couple of standard variance-reduction optimisations!
Eric Thompson
4 posts
Cool link. Thanks for sharing.