Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Connor
6 posts
RecordingInput and IsDown
For context, I have just finished Day 043

Let's say I press 'L' to start recording input and then start holding down 'A' so the hero is walking to the left. I press 'L' again to stop recording and being the input playback. Well if I exit the input playback while the hero is walking left, he continues to walk left, as if I was still holding the 'A' key down. I believe it's because Win32ProcessKeyboardMessage is not being called again for (IsDown == 0 && VKCode == 'A') since there was not release of that specific key between the playback running and pressing 'L' to stop playback. Is there something I might be obviously missing in my code? Is this how it is working for everyone?

This happens also if I put a break in the Win32ProcessKeyboardMessage in the if statements for VKCode == '?', where '?' is any key. When I continue to run the program, there is not a key release message processed for whatever key I put the break in for. [this issue doesn't need to be solved, just comparing the problems]

Obviously it's a really minor issue. But once I start assigning many keys to many things and replaying my input, I'm afraid that I might forget that some keys may stick when I toggle the input playback on and off. And a hell gate will open or something.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
That is as expected. Eventually when we are touching the Win32 subsystem again, we will address this issue (indirectly) because there is a more important issue that is actually end-user facing: if the keyboard focus is lost while a key is held, the same bug would occur for the user.

- Casey
Connor
6 posts
Edited by Connor on Reason: grammar
Ahh alright. The "bug" made too much sense, that I couldn't convince myself that it shouldn't be happening. Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that it is working as intended.

P.S. Thanks for making Handmade Hero.