Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Keith Watterson
1 posts
Arial with Japanese Chars
Hi
Using 'Character Map' the 'Arial Bold' font does not have seem to have the Japanese Glyphs in it, but does in 'Arial Unicode MS'. I wonder if Windows is grabbing the Japanese glyphs for the other font file and that is why the Kerning seems to be broken.
BTW the Kerning of the Japanese chars seems to be OK building and running on Windows 10, but the Japanese is not Bold.

[attachment=46]HMH.png[/attachment]
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
That could well be... the Windows Font system is a bit of a mystery to me :) We'll try with a known-good Unicode font on Monday to see if maybe that is the problem!

- Casey
Roderic Bos
70 posts
I can confirm that the exact same code (from the day 175 zip) on Win8 shows wrong output like Casey's. But on win 10 shows correct output like the screenshot. (maybe they fixed a bug so the data gathering would work better or something B) )

I tried to switch to the GetCharABCWidthsW call instead of the GetCharWidth32W but that did not seem to help on win 8. On win 10 both calls show the same output.