Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Nines Baobaberson
37 posts
practice and review, ludum dare
Made a little game for ludum dare over the weekend to practice some of the things we've been learning so far. I sort of thought of it as like a first quiz of the semester. A question to myself: how much did you really learn? Turns out, a lot! I tried doing everything from memory but ended up having to reference working projects a few times (even before getting an open window, haha!).

As a game it's not worth mentioning, but I'm happy I got something working and drawing and moving pixels around in a way that somewhat resembles a game, so I wanted to share. ;D

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=46614

For a real laugh check out the hilarious mess that's the source code. (I'll hopefully clean that up at some point.)

It was all worth it for this comment:

Wow directly on windows.h! Not even SDL, SFML or similar! Not even classes!1! :P

But it works perfectly! Absolutely nothing to say!

Haha, yes my friend, nothign but windows.h... not even classes... wait, what's that tongue.. are you making fun? NEVRMNID. I'm happy, we're all friends.

Sometime last week once I realized I could draw a square to the screen all the possibilities started to open up. I pretended like it was the old days, just pushing pixels to the screen, like little jordan mechner on an apple II in his bedroom or the guy who did another world.. or, what else, the guys who did elite. You know, those days.

So Mr. [strike]Bond[/strike] Casey, I though you might want to see some of the fruits of your labors. These are the things you are inspiring.. watch out.. I see swarms of poorly conceived but immaculately coded (this example excluded) little knock-offs, offshoots and descendants popping up as we progress (if nothing else, then just from me ^^).
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
This is wonderful!! I am so happy to see this... thanks for posting it. I look forward to seeing what you create in the future!

- Casey
Stefan Koch
22 posts
It's great to see that handmade-hero is working as intended!

You can be proud casey!