Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
39 posts
sound bug
There has been a bug in the OutputPlayingSounds function for a week or so
that hits this assert:
Assert(PlayingSound->SamplesPlayed >= LoadedSound->SampleCount)

I figured it would be hit eventually, but when the 1.9f dSample multiplier was
removed, it masked the bug.

It is reproducible by setting the dSample multiplier back to 1.9f and letting
the game run for a few minutes with day150.

My best guess is a floating point precision/rounding/casting error is causing
ChunksRemainingInSound to be one chunk too small, also making ChunksToMix
one chunk too small.

Changing this line prevents the crash, but is super janky :):
-    ChunksToMix = ChunksRemainingInSound;
+    ChunksToMix = ChunksRemainingInSound + 1;

There was no doubt in my mind this wasn't in the platform code, but I set up
a windows build anyway to be make sure I wasn't going crazy.

By the way, how can you make visual studio remember the work directory,
currently I have to set it every time.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
sound bug
To make VS remember working directory you need to save solution file. VS generates one automatically if you launch it with exe as argument.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
sound bug
Are you sure this isn't the one that we just fixed (see https://youtu.be/UNXHK8O-B_g?t=141)?

- Casey
39 posts
sound bug
I see now, the ".sln" file has to be saved in the same directory as the exe. I was
saving it in a different directory then loading it, which doesn't work for some
reason.

The bug is still in day151, I thought you were going to get it at the time you mentioned, but it's a slippery sucker :P
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
sound bug
Do you have any good way of reproducing it?

- Casey
39 posts
sound bug
As I said above just change this line:
-                real32 dSample = PlayingSound->dSample;
+                real32 dSample = PlayingSound->dSample*1.9f;

and it should crash after a minute or so of running.
39 posts
sound bug
Edited by people on
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood what you meant by reproducing. Did you mean, "did I find a different better way of hitting the bug"?

If it's that, then no I haven't been able to better isolate it.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
sound bug
Yeah - I meant is there some reliable way of making it happen. We can leave it running in the background for a minute at some point and see if it will happen with 1.9x...

- Casey
39 posts
sound bug
Edited by people on
It happens at the same time every time, it just takes a minute or so for it to occur.

Are you not trying it because you want to do everything on stream?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
sound bug
Yeah, the rule is that there is no programming of any kind allowed if I'm not streaming.

- Casey
Francesco
2 posts
sound bug
I'm a couple of episodes behind so I don't know if this bug has already been resolved but the problem present itself when the rounding of the samples to mix produces the floor value (decimal part < 0.5) and the last chunk of the sound is being played. This causes the assert to fire (the sample played will be always less than the sample count in this case).

Maybe is only necessary to use a ceiling instead of a round for the samples to mix but I don't know if that introduces other bugs. Hope this helps.