Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
dy
2 posts
Day 001 - parameters for vcvarsall
Hi guys, I'm kind of late to the party, but hopefully you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.

I usually work on a mac, but I managed to borrow an Asus transformer running windows 8.1 and installed VS community edition.

The system type says the device is a "32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor". Does this mean I can build and run 64 bit programs?

Inside c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0 I find the VC folder with vcvarsall. When I try to run vcvarsall with the x64 parameter like Casey did in the stream, I get a message saying "The specified configuration type is missing. The tools for the configuration might not be installed."

When I tried some other parameters, I'm prompted to use either:
x86 | amd64 | arm | x86_amd64 | x86_arm | amd64_x86 | amd64_arm

Using vcvarsall "-x86_amd64" and then "cl", I get the line:
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.22816 for x64

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but am I on the right track here?

Thank you in advance!
Matt Campbell
4 posts
32-bit operating system means you can only run 32-bit programs, sorry. You should be able to compile for x86 instead of amd64. I think there's been very little that would have to change in HH so far to run as 32 bit, so don't worry about that.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2563 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
As mattc already said - "32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor" means that you are running 32-bit Windows on 64-bit capable CPU. So you will be able to run only 32-bit code under Windows.

That means you need to run vcvarsall with "x86" argument. You will need to change code a bit to get it compiling and few changes to get it running (reduce size/count of input recording buffers).

"x86_amd64" argument means that you want to run 32-bit compiler (x86) to generate 64-bit code (amd64). While you will be able to compile C/C++ code to 64-bit machine code, you won't be able to run it because you have 32-bit OS.
dy
2 posts
Wow thanks guys for the quick responses!

That really helped!