Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Mike T
27 posts
Handmade Hero Private GitHub Repository
Edited by Mike T on
I'm not familiar with the git extension, what happens if you don't have it installed. Will the pointer files get in the way of extracting the .zip files?

If they can peacefully coexist, the we could have both options available. Then no one would be _required_ to install an extension.

Although that does raise another point in my mind... I had assumed the git repo would be there in addition to a separate source download (rather than replacing it), is that the case? Would a new heroite be required to install git to get the source?
David Owens II
69 posts
A software engineer that enjoys living in enemy territory.
Edited by David Owens II on
The files stored (for LFS) in git are essentially metadata. Without the extension, I believe there are no errors, and you just those metadata files instead of the real files.

You can download the source file from github.com as a single zip, there is no need to install git.
Mike T
27 posts
owensd
The files stored (for LFS) in git are essentially metadata. Without the extension, I believe there are no errors, and you just those metadata files instead of the real files.

Cool. :)

owensd
You can download the source file from github.com as a single zip, there is no need to install git.

Completely forgot about that feature. I guess I never use it. :)
John Lorre
26 posts
First I was thinking much like Casey, not really liking the idea of an extension.
But if it is not harmful not having this extension, I am cautiously for it.

Prices might become an issue though:
Every user and organization on GitHub.com with Git LFS enabled will begin with 1 GB of free file storage and a monthly bandwidth quota of 1 GB. If your workflow requires higher quotas, you can easily purchase more storage and bandwidth for your account.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I'm definitely not putting the assets in the GitHub, so hopefully everyone can be OK with that :) The GitHub will be for the code only, and perhaps we will check in the test assets, but the (giant) production assets will remain out of the GitHub.

- Casey