Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
3 posts
[DAY 006] game pad connectivity issues
Hi, I would like to know if i have done something wrong. I have a XBox 360 controller with a battery pack but with a USB charging cable that I can plug into the top of the controller and have it via USB to my computer. I connected it up and I see it under device management, but when I go and run handmade.exe The controller still does not connect with a solid green circle light but instead just keeps blinking. I have it so that when i press down the A button that i'm suppose to move the YOffSet (or the green offset, I still have it labeled as YOffSet in my code) but it does not seem to work. Is there something i'm missing? Help would be much appreciated because i think that would be cool to also be able to use a controller but I'm still ok if I am only able to follow along and only use the keyboard and mouse. (secretly PC master race :) )

-SighPhy
Bryan Taylor
55 posts
Wireless 360 controllers do not actually work plug-and-play with Windows. Wired controllers work, and are fairly cheap if you can find them. Alternatively, Microsoft makes a dongle for connecting wireless controllers to PCs as well.

(Why the difference? Who knows.)

More information here:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbo...#ba78a726cbab4ca790547ab49e50b4fe
3 posts
Thanks for the info, I've done some more reading up on it today and it actually looks like i will need to buy the USB adapter in order to have my wireless controller work. It's pretty lame that the XBox 360 does not come with that already packaged in. I wish that the 'Play & Charge Kit' actually worked in a way that windows would just treat it as a wired controller but that does not seem to be the case. Thanks for the info and happy coding.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I feel your pain here SighPhy. I've _often_ wished I could just plug in those Play and Charge guys :/

- Casey