Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
12 posts
Any plans for Android or iOS?
Any plans for supporting Android and/or iOS platforms?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
I remember that in one of streams Casey said that he won't support iOS, because developing for it requires buying certificate, it isn't free.

Not sure about Android.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Mmozeiko's summary is correct. I think it may be interesting to do an Android port, so that is very much in the running for things to do in the future. Anyone can develop for Android, and you can install Android binaries on Android phones without permission from Google, so it fits with the open, educational model of this project. How you would play this game on a phone or tablet, I don't know, but it could certainly be played on Android "console" devices like Ouya and so on that have an action-game-appropriate controller.

iOS, on the other hand, is a closed ecosystem that requires paying Apple for developer access and getting Apple's permission to ship binaries. I personally strongly dislike this model of computing and feel that it is philosophically against what this project is all about. The whole point of Handmade Hero is to make people comfortable with tinkering with the computer hardware that they own, making their own programs, and empowering them to understand and control the computing world around them at every level.

Similarly, I will not be doing a port to the closed Windows 8 "Store" ecosystem, since it has the same restrictions as iOS, just with Microsoft as the gatekeeper instead of Apple.

- Casey