Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Aidan
12 posts
Handmade Vita!
So I recently got access to a PS Vita Dev Kit through the PlayStation First program where they give out kits to universities for students to use. I've never done any work on non-PC platforms, so I was really excited to work with it. I figured a good first project would be making a HH platform layer. It turned out being a lot easier than I was expecting. About 5 hours work all up from taking the kit out of the box to having HH up and running. Of course a good chunk of that is thanks to Casey's experience with making cross-platform easy. I can't post the code for obvious reasons. I'm mostly just excited and wanted to show off.

You'll notice it doesn't quite look like the up-to-date stream version. I'm pretty far behind right now (back on episode 58), so the yellow wall entities are still around. Sadly it only runs at about 10 frames a second, even in release. The super slow blitting code is a bit much for the poor CPU it seems. When I get up to the optimized renderer I'm gonna have a go porting Casey's SSE code over to ARM neon to see if I can get the Vita to handle a software rendering path.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Handmade Vita!
Hah! Awesome!!

- Casey
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Handmade Vita!
This is very cool. I wish Sony would open Native SDK for Vita for everybody, not just the managed C# stuff they did.

My guess would be that Vita is capable of software renderer. Is has 960x544 resolution and 4 cores. That would mean 480x272 rectangle for each core. For 2GHz CPU that should be completely possible.