The 2024 Wheel Reinvention Jam is in 16 days. September 23-29, 2024. More info

Visual Studio IntelliSense

so I've been using visual studio as my editor, but unless i create a new visual studio project i get no IntelliSense and when i create a project i have to use visual studio to compile. is there a way that i could still compile using the build.bat and have IntelliSense. i just want to have some kind of auto complete feature but still follow along exactly.

Thanks
Yes, you can use intellisense together with build.bat for building.

To do that create new Makefile Project. Select File -> New -> Project. Under Visual C++ select "Makefile Project". Then specify path/to/build.bat in "Build command line", and specify correct path to win32_handmade.exe executable in "Output (for debugging)". After that intellisense and build/debug commands should work fine.
Thanks for the help.
Just curious, why do you want to use the build.bat? I've been using the VS compiler and it's been fine so far.
the only reason is that I'm following along with the stream and i want to be able to to the same things Casey does immediately, if i use visual studio each time he changes the build settings i have to go find them in VS.