Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Steve
2 posts
A question about the programming language
Edited by Steve on
Please accept my apologies for my ignorance on this. I have started learning C from a textbook and am considering following the handmadehero guide to help me learn C from a deep level (and fun!). On this link below people were saying that Casey is programming in C++ without the OOP part. Is that the same as straight C? And would that hurt my learning of C as I don't have any experience with C++ and hope not to mix the two at this stage as I would like to learn C++ later possibly. Thank you very much.

http://www.reddit.com/r/C_Program...on_regarding_writing_c_in_visual/
popcorn
70 posts
!language...too bad that only works in the chat =X

It's ok no need to apologies!
Casey is using C with a touch of C++. For example he used some C++ such as operation override but he doesn't use the entire feature of C++ like classes or the Standard Template Library and such.
I don't think learning C will hurt and I do recommend the intro videos he did on youtube because most books don't teach people about the debugger and debugging is very important.
Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
As COD3 said, handmade hero is mostly C (ANSI C if I'm correct not C99 or later).
You can find differences between ...fferent version of C on wikipedia.
No concept in handmade hero requires C++, meaning everything you will learn can be applied in C. The stream is more about teaching how to program a game that how to program in C. I recommend to watch the week 0: Intro to C videos to know if handmade hero is for you.

A few things in handmade hero will not work in pure C but can be converted to C with little changes:
- structure definition:
// C++ code:
struct StructName {
	int x;
};

// C code:
typedef struct {
	int x;
} StructName;

- Comments: in C you can only use /* and */ to write comment. In C++ you can used // to do a one line comment.
- Operator overloading: C++ allows you to redefine the behaviour of (most) operators. E.g. : you can change what + or - means between two types. Casey only use that for (math) vectors. It's not possible to do it in C, but it can be replaced by a function call.
// C++ code:
inline v2
operator+(v2 A, v2 B)
{
    v2 Result;

Result.x = A.x + B.x;
    Result.y = A.y + B.y;

return(Result);
}

v2 a = { 1.0f, 4.0f };
v2 b = { 2.0f, 3.0f };
v2 c = a + b;

// C code:
inline v2
v2Add(v2 A, v2 B)
{
    v2 Result;

Result.x = A.x + B.x;
    Result.y = A.y + B.y;

return(Result);
}

v2 a = { 1.0f, 4.0f };
v2 b = { 2.0f, 3.0f };
v2 c = v2Add( a, b );

- Function overloading: in C++ you can have function with the same name but different arguments types and/or order (the function signature: name of the function + arguments type and order. The return type is not part of the signature).
// C++ code:
float add( float a, float b ) { ... }
int add( int a, int b ) { ... }

// C code:
float addFloat( float a, float b ) { ... }
int addInt( int a, int b ) { ... }

- [Not sure]Function inlining might not work in C.
Steve
2 posts
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations. I will keep an eye out for those things you mentioned, thanks again.