Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
I've been making series similar to Handmade Hero!
Dunjun

What is this series?
I have been making a video series where I document and demonstrate the process of making a game from scratch*! Every step of the game development process and every line of code will be explained thoroughly.

This project will be documenting and demonstrating the development of making a game from scratch[sup]1[/sup]! Every step of the game development process and every line of code will be explained thoroughly.

The game will be a 3D randomly generated, perma-death, dungeon crawler style game. More will be revealed about the game as the project persists.

[sup]1[/sup]With minimal libraries such as GLFW, GLEW, and the STB libraries.

YouTube Channel: GingerGames

GitHub: Dunjun GitHub

YouTube Playlists
* Dunjun Playlist
* Bare Bones
* Vectors and Matrices
* Model Assets and Model Instances
* Quaternions and Rotations in 3D
* Camera and Input
* Mesh Creation
* Mesh Generation
* Scene Graphs and Component Based Design

What have I done so far?
I have done over 60 videos so far each around ~40 minutes long. Some videos are kind of like lectures on a blackboard where I explain the *complex concepts*. Some of the topics include, Vectors, Matrices, Complex Numbers, and Quaternions.

The actual game development has yet to begin as I am still writing a lot of the underlying code to get started (rendering engine, input, logic).

Will this be a simple game, for teaching purposes?
No! In fact, the game design has been made to require complex concepts which exist in more than most game designs.

Are the accompanying videos just recordings of someone programming?
No! 99%[sup]1[/sup] of the programming for the game is recorded in the videos; every step of the game development process and every line of code will be explained thoroughly.

Some videos will be lectures where I will explain certain concepts that cannot be explained just through programming.

Some of these lectures include explanations on the topics include, Vectors, Matrices, Complex Numbers, and Quaternions.

[sup]1[/sup]Some of the code will not programmed in the videos but this will mostly be bug fixes or minor changes to the code that can be explained quickly.

What platforms will this game support?
This game will support Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. At the moment of writing, only Windows is working at the moment but porting to another platform that supports GLFW should not be that difficult.

I'm developing on Windows at the moment as that will be what most people will have but the process should be similar to most platforms. I normally program on Mac OS X and Linux (mostly Debian based).

Experimental support for Mac OS X has begun (you may notice the git branching cock-up). It didn't take long to port however, I'm not so worried yet about support other operating systems at this moment in time.

Prerequisites
Before we can begin, you need to make sure you have all the things you will need.

* A reasonable amount of experience with C++
- C++11 experience will help
* Graphics card compatible with OpenGL 2.1
- DirectX 9 Equivalent Cards
* Text Editor and C++11 Compiler, or IDE (MSVC 12 compiler capabilities at least)
* The initial libraries:
- GLFW - For creating the context, window, and handling input
- GLEW - To use new OpenGL functions

I have a problem with X...
Please feel free to contact with any problem:

* YouTube: GingerGames
* Email: [email protected]
* GitHub: Dunjun GitHub
* Or even just below!
David Steed
2 posts
As a newbie game programmer...I say more power to you! Once I get caught up on HH vids, I plan to invest in the time on your project.
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Thank you. My series is a little more in the deep end compared to Handmade Hero such as I use:
* C++ (which has more to it than C)
* 3D graphics (harder to program and understand)
* quaternions (very difficult concept to understand but I do have a few lecture like videos on the topic)
* deferred shading (an alternative to forward rendering that has many more advantages)

I do try my best to cover all the topics that I time frame that I have so if anyone has any issues or problems (especially in the earlier episodes as they are not edited and I was just getting used to programming and explaining at once), please free to ask any question.