Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
7 posts
why are templates bad
Edited by yumisen-yamasen on
> A lot of language features that look awesome at first glance just don't scale well in large projects. Often the only way to figure out whether something can scale is to use it in a large scale project.

In general I agree, but I don't think its accurate to extrapolate github stats as an indication of which languages are better suited to large scale projects. (not that I think lisp is good for large scale projects with multiple developers mind you)

Here is a fun link (http://wiki.c2.com/?SmugLispWeenie)
511 posts
why are templates bad
yumisen-yamasen

In general I agree, but I don't think its accurate to extrapolate github stats as an indication of which languages are better suited to large scale projects. (not that I think lisp is good for large scale projects with multiple developers mind you)

True, I also tried prolog but instead got a bunch of hardware projects that happen to have a lot of .pro files (which actually looked a lot like data files with a lisp syntax)
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
why are templates bad
In practical terms, you would start by writing an assembler that lets you write lispy assembly and outputs a binary. Once you have that foundation, you have the full power of lisps' meta-programming facilities to customise it to fit your problem perfectly.

Ok, got it. So as long as you have comfortable meta-programming capabilities in your language/environment, lisp doesn't matter. C/C++ is fine as well.
Thanks.