Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Jason
235 posts
Any good C data structure libraries?
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
I'm trying to implement my own dynamic memory allocator and in the process of doing so I would like to utilize a linked list structure. Since I don't feel like trying to implement one myself at the moment I tried using STL's linked list just as a current solution. I've had numerous issues trying to get it working so I was wondering if anyone has used and can vouch for any C style libraries for things liked linked lists, arrays, etc?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
If you need just linked list, I would suggest to implement it yourself. Depending on functionality you need it can be very small amount of code - 10/20 lines or so.

As for ready-to-use C code for data structures:
  • here's OpenBSD queue.h and tree.h that implements various queues (singly/doubly linked lists/arrays) and tree structures
  • klib good implementation for various data structures
  • TommyDS with various stuff
  • libldfs if you need lock-free data structures
  • stb.h - also has some data structures

You can also take a look at some implementations of memory allocators to see what they use:
  • tlsf - implements linked list within its data structure, not as external wrapper
  • Hoard
  • nedmalloc
  • ltalloc - C++ not C, but does not use STL

70 posts
Professional programmer, working in the video games industry since 2012
Hello,

Compared with implementing a whole dynamic memory allocator, implementing a linked list structure will be a breeze, a simple one can be implemented in a few minutes, or maybe a few hours if you're an absolute beginner. Additionally, it is one more opportunity to practice programming to train yourself.
Jason
235 posts
Thanks mmozeiko! And ya I'm sure its not too hard to implement one. I just wanted a quick way to grab something that works reasonably well already while I try and focus on my initial problem. Though I might end up implementing one still we'll see. Thanks again!