Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on

Casey has provided me access to 1080p videos he uploads to YouTube. These videos are from OBS recording and should have a bit better quality than ones on YouTube, because it transcodes videos to be a bit smaller. Files from Casey are ~1.5x larger than videos on YouTube.

I will share them using Resilio Sync (previously known as BitTorrent Sync).

For those who doesn't know Resilio Sync, in few words it is like a Dropbox but without server. Basically it downloads files using P2P - same technology as torrents. There is no central server where files are stored, everybody who downloads files also uploads same files to other peers. Discovering shared files happens through sharing special key for folder - similar to what "magnet" URL is for torrents.

Read-only key to download files is BOZWLNQW3PPZXLV53HVXI3MVHA5EV5FTF. My upload bandwidth is 1Gbit/s, so as long as you have good connection and more people joins in sharing files download speeds should be good.

Here's is short guide how to get files using Resilio Sync on Windows:

• Go to https://www.getsync.com and get Free version. No need to have Pro, and for first 30 days Free version will have all Pro functionality.

• In main interface choose "+" item (top left side) and choose "Enter a key or link"

• Paste key above

• Now choose "Sync all" to be On or Off. When it is ON all files will be downloaded. Each episode is something like ~900MB. Currently total size for all 349 episodes/chats is 317GB). If you choose this to keep OFF, you'll need to right click in Windows Explorer individual files you want to download and select "Sync to this device" option. You can change this setting later. Read more information about this feature here.

• Press Next, and choose new folder where to place files.

• Download and watch videos

For more information read Help Center for Resilio Sync: http://help.getsync.com

Sync All = OFF is Pro-only feature. After 30-day trial will end, this feature won't be available anymore. If you want to download only individual files after that you'll need to use ignore list - https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458165-Ignoring-files-in-Sync-Ignore-List- Create or edit .sync/IgnoreList text file that contains files that you don't want to download. For example, like this:

introduction_to_c_*
emacs_*
handmade_hero_day_0*
handmade_hero_day_100*
handmade_hero_day_11*
This will ignore all introduction to c, emacs and days 000-119 videos. It will download 120+ days.

Here is full list of file names and their sizes, ordered by upload date: https://gist.github.com/mmozeiko/212db515a1aa900664b5f6e9a88cec10#file-handmadehero-txt

8 posts
Hi,
thank you very much for the distribution of the videos. Currently episodes 554 and 556 are missing. Can you add them?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Both files should be available now.
8 posts
Thank you very much!
1 posts
I've accidentally deleted downloaded file and now I can't download it (synchronize) again. What should I do to restore syncing?
Im using Resilio Sync 2.7.2.

Thank you.
XP1
4 posts

Do you have the subtitles (SRT) files as well?

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects

Afaik nobody is creating subtitles for these streams, so there are no srt files.

XP1
4 posts
Replying to mmozeiko (#26347)

I am creating the subtitles. Do you want to create a GitHub repo and let me commit to it?

From the Handmade Hero complete playlist on YouTube, 433 out of the 674 videos have automatic speech recognition (ASR) subs. I have already downloaded those ASR subs. Interestingly, 3 subtitles were manually uploaded (day 1 and 2 of Intro to C and day 1 of Hero). So maybe someone was subbing but gave up?

As I watch, I have also been pasting the YouTube link into Kapwing and converting the JSON into SRT files. I have done several so far. Need to do this 200+ times for the remaining videos of the Hero series.

XP1
4 posts
Edited by XP1 on
Replying to XP1 (#26352)

The subtitles are here.

Handmade Hero subtitles:

https://github.com/XP1/Handmade-Hero-subtitles

I have created the organize and rename scripts, which will sort each series into their folders and add titles to the video filenames.

4 posts

Is this still seeded? My resilio sync client shows 0 of 0 peers online. If not, is there any way to get these original files?

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Replying to Manu (#29596)

Yes, it is. Usually ~20 to 30 peers are online all the time.