Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
Question About the .emacs file
Hey All, I am here with a question for all of you. I am currently following along with Casey, even using Emacs, as I have found it really fun to use, and would like to know that if there is any way to change drives when using Casey's .emacs file. I am trying to change into my substed drive, but it is currently stuck in the drive it opens in by default. Anyone know if there is any setting I need to change in order to change this behavior? Any responses are much appreciated! :)
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
I can't help you with emacs, but I wanted to let you know that at some point in the series Casey stopped using emacs and switched to 4coder.
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
Is there anyway to get 4coder for free. I know the creator mentioned that he would make the $1 donation version available on itch.io, but I don't think he ever finished setting it up.
7 posts
I think he said he will release it after he does another full month of development on it.
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
Just read the post... and yup, you're right.... I am officially a moron. Being said though, I was wondering if the people who use 4coder likes it. It seems pretty cool to use. :)
7 posts
did you watch the emacs set up video?
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
I mean, I did, but I can't seem to read the entirety of the file, nor can I really edit any of the ones I find online without running into some interesting errors.
75 posts
None
Edited by Mór on
I tried Emacs but found it too heavy and didn't want to learn Emacs Lisp, so I tried 4Coder and found it super streamlined and easy to get started on. However when I moved from Linux to BSD I couldn't use 4Coder any more, so I learned Vim and really liked the system. The hardest part with Vim was figuring out what plugins I wanted. I wasted a lot of time with that, until I found a website that lets you download an almost perfect setup of plugins and settings which I could tweak.
http://vim-bootstrap.com/

So I'd say go with 4Coder if you want to just get in and start coding. But if you want a free editor you can use for more than just programming, and are prepared to spend a lot of time learning it try Vim.
7 posts
It should change if you type W: when you try to open a file. If you have the same set up as him and start it from the command line it should already be there by default.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
4coder is now available on itch.io for free without the customization layer.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Edited by Allen Webster on
By the end of the month there will be a fairly cheap one-time-purchase version of the fully customizable 4coder that is used on Handmade Hero now.

The free version is pretty different from what Casey uses now, but it's designed to be pretty similar to the emacs style he had earlier on in the series, it just uses different key combos for a lot of things. If you want to try it out, the key combos are here: http://4coder.net/bindings.html
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
Hey, thanks for the Reply, Mr. Webster! How much is this one time cost? I would be interested in purchasing if its reasonably priced for its feature set (which I will admit I haven't looked too much into yet). Also, I would love to be able to get my hands on the free one, since I would like to get a feel for it before I actually purchase. Thanks in advance for any further replies! :)
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Edited by Allen Webster on
I am not ready to speculate on a price yet, but I am thinking in the range of a Steam game not in the range of a Visual Studio Professional license if that helps.
David Madrigal-Hernandez
19 posts
That actually helps a TON! Thanks again for the reply! :D