Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
1 posts
This is a test topic. It's pretty amazing.
Oh hai....
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
Edited by Andrew Chronister on
Wow, javascript *and* PHP. This is really top notch. I wonder if we can discover the true nature of the Variable here.

And editing works. Truly, this forum shall facilitate a golden age of handmade game coding.

Perhaps a suggestion: Based on what I've seen in the twitch chat, fans of this stream will have a lot to say about programming paradigms and languages and editors that might not necessarily relate to the game code itself. Perhaps we should have a more general discussion section for such topics, and maybe other community-organization related things. Just to keep this section dedicated to discussing the actual code Casey is writing.
Tod Hansmann
10 posts
Just a guy
Oh god, can I also ride this gravy train all the way to Javascript land? (No seriously, ignore the PHP.)
John Hyde
2 posts
I'll be honest, I knew that this topic was going to be excellent from the title, but I didn't expect anything even close to this level of magnificence. Bravo, my friends, bravo.

- Warkgnall

P.S.
I believe that the only language that supports variables right now is C#, but I could be wrong. The main problem with C#, however, is that it's only a half-step from D which can be kind of a rough transition if you're not accustomed to it. Just a heads up!
Tod Hansmann
10 posts
Just a guy
Oh no no no, my friend. Javascript has variables, if you want them to be variables. You can even say they're truthy, or falsey, or unicorns. As long as they're in your browser. If they're in your javascript land, it's all how you want it to be. You just have to believe.

Source: My coworker who mostly just works in Javascript with the Angular mess I only have to touch when they make me.
AndrewJDR
20 posts
I heard there will be The Variable in C++17 is it true?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
My understanding was that the C++ Committee is still hotly debating whether or not variables are important to programming.

- Casey
Marco
10 posts
May the variable be with you.
James Jackson
1 posts
I am alive.
use const for everything.

variables are overrated.
Mike T
27 posts
I'd like a half stack of bananacakes, please!
7 posts
[hide]it really is amazing.[/hide]
Casey Brant
9 posts
Edited by Casey Brant on
I am not going to be happy with this site until it loads up >2MB of JavaScript prior to rendering any content beyond a background jpeg.
Ron Sokolovsky
4 posts
Christopher O Connor
7 posts
IRL

[attachment=1]HH_SANDCASTLES.jpg[/attachment]
Mike
4 posts
:woohoo: I'm on board!

Hello to everybody, it's going to be one cool journey.