Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Julius
2 posts
Emacs differentiate between M-m and \em
Hi,

after seeing how insane fast casey is with the emacs editor ill decided to give it a shoot (before i was only using vs mostly for c#).

im trying to personalize the config file for my needs and i want to keep most of the keybindings default.

his keybinding for executing the build script is: (define-key global-map "\em" 'make-without-asking). I dont know why but it seems to be the same as M-m (meta) which by default would be back-to-indentation.

How can i say emacs to treat <ESC> and Meta (M) seperate so that \em != M-m

Greetings from Germany

Julius
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I am barely literate with Emacs so I'm afraid I can't help you. All I know is that if I do "\em" it means "ALT-M", which is what I wanted. Usually I just Google for some Emacs LISP and cut and paste it in there and pray that it works :P

- Casey
Julius
2 posts
thank you for your reply :)

it seems what im trying to achive is not possibly (at least after some hours of excessive google use)

i checked your config file and it seems you dont have back-to-indentation bound to any key combination.

in your stream you said you wouldn´t recomend using emacs as editor? which editor would u choose?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
I don't know what the best editor would be if you are starting today. I'm used to Emacs so I'll keep using it until something really awesome comes along that makes it worth switching.

- Casey
Johan Gustafsson
5 posts
Personally I'm very fond of Sublime Text 3 with the Vintageous packet. With that I get many of Vim's keyboard shortcuts in combination with Sublimes multi-cursor editing. Nothing beats the editing speed of that combination IMO.