Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Andre Bauland
12 posts
[Day 22] Hot DLL Loading Compile Breaker(?)
Hello everyone,

I've followed this series on the youtubes and watched every video and coded my way up to day 22. Now im watching day 23.

For whatever reason I've deleted all files in my build directory and now im not able to compile anymore.
Reason:
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '20954.pdb'

The number before .pdb changes everytime I try.

I've also tried to copying the clean code from day 22 out of the zip but it's not working either.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Hmm... how are you even getting a PDB file that is just a number? Are you building from the command line with the build.bat or are you building via some other method?

- Casey
Andre Bauland
12 posts
Edited by Andre Bauland on
Even if I'm building with your build.bat file i get this. :(

And if it's the case that some pdb file has to be there in effect to be
somehow magically overwritten by the compiler to compile the code, thats no good
for people who downloaded the code and step in without any pdb's

Now I've also tested to setup all from new with new folder and everything with your clean zip-file files. Same again.

Now I'm sad :(

Edit:

For some reason hes putting some blankspace inbetween date_ and time
handmade_datedatedate_ timetimetime.pdb

I think it's because now it's 03:17 for me and he's maybe turning the "03" into " 3".

I got it figured out with creating a text file with the same name as the pdb in notepad and it had this blankspace. :)
So if it's around time < 10 o'clock no compiling for me with that code? :(
I'll figure out a workaround for this after sleep.

Goodnight! :D
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
We switched to using %random% on a later day, which may solve this problem... have you tried replacing the date/time stuff with %random% (or just look at the day 25 source - does that build.bat work?)

- Casey
Chris Hardy
1 posts
Edited by Chris Hardy on
I had this exact same problem, it's a bug in the old build.bat that was fixed in day 23 or 24. You can get it to work with the date if you're determined, but as Casey said, just using %random% will also do the trick.
Andre Bauland
12 posts
%random% did the job thanks :)
Thanks alot for the help!

I did not want to watch some days without coding it myself, but maybe I have to watch some days further to solve some problems, like this one.

But now! Day23 I'm comming :D
Gregory
3 posts
I had this same problem. I just read the *spoiler* about the %random% so I guess the point is moot, but I was running around 9:55 and I ended up just removing the section %time:~0,2% and it removed the space and I could continue. Funny that if I had waited five minutes later, I would never have noticed this.