Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
39 posts
day 347, linux limitation?
When run with either underflow or overflow checking enabled, mprotect will fail after around 32,570 "protections", with errno 12 (ENOMEM Internal kernel structures could not be allocated.)

I am assuming this this is because of a limit on the space allowed in the kernel to store memory protection structures, I guess per process. It seems to consistently fail around that 32,570 number on this machine, whether underflow or overflow checking is used.

Is anyone familiar with this, or am I mistaken? Windows seems fine with almost a million "protections".
Mike T
27 posts
I think this is governed by the limit in /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count. You could try increasing that in the file or temporarily with:
sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=nnn

Both of these require root authority.
39 posts
Edited by people on
I think I may have been mistaken, I was trying to use the "Size" member of the "platform_memory_block" as the size to deallocate using munmap (as it requires a size to deallocate, unlike VirtualFree), but I forgot that the "Size" value isn't the full size of the allocation, it doesn't include the headers or extra protection pages.
39 posts
Edited by people on
It turns out it was a combination of both using the wrong size, and the vm.max_map_count limit being set to it's default of 65536. I increased vm.max_map_count to 2097152, (not sure if it matters if it is a power of two) and split LoopingFlags from it's previous size of u64 into a u32 and another u32 to store the extra size of the allocation.

When I just fixed the size, mprotect would fail after ~78000 "protections", not sure why it was more than the 65536 limit it was set to.

Thanks FieryDrake for the sweet info :)

edit: As for the ~78000 total "protections" before it failed, I think this is from a lot of those "protections" being deallocated, and the total number of mmap's and mprotect's in flight at any one time only reaches >65536 after around 78000 mprotect's have been done.
Ben Smith
6 posts
The guard page trick is neat, but it has limitations. If you are already using malloc/free (or can swap your allocations to use it instead), then using something like Address Sanitizer will generally give you better results.

From that link:

The tool can detect the following types of bugs:

* Out-of-bounds accesses to heap, stack and globals
* Use-after-free
* Use-after-return (runtime flag ASAN_OPTIONS=detect_stack_use_after_return=1)
* Use-after-scope (clang flag -fsanitize-address-use-after-scope)
* Double-free, invalid free
* Memory leaks (experimental)

Typical slowdown introduced by AddressSanitizer is 2x.

It's built into Clang (and recent versions of GCC), you can just pass -fsanitize=address to the compiler and linker.