Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
8 posts
Hobbyist programmer, focused on making games. Thinking about what "handmade" means for my own code.
Handmade Hero Holiday Hours
I'm fine with the regular schedule too!
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Thanks for replying, everyone. The vote seems overwhelmingly in favor of the regular schedule, so I will continue with 5 streams a week through the holidays and I will do the regular topics I was planning on doing!

Thanks,
- Casey
27 posts
Haha. Guess there's no point in voting now. I was in favor of the regular schedule except for the 24-25. Yes, you do archive the streams, but that just means for those of us that miss them, we'll have to play catch up. And catching up on 2 1.5+ hour streams is not as simple as it sounds.
Mike Oldham
6 posts
My catch up technique is to watch at 2x speed on you tube, and skip the Q&A. This lets you see what casey did in about 30 minutes and works surprisingly well.
27 posts
Considering how often he'll change some things in the Q&A, I can't confidently skip them and think that I didn't miss something that's going to introduce a tiny bug that will take me several additional hours to sort out.
Nines Baobaberson
37 posts
Ah, yes, I was going to vote for a slight delay as well, but only because I'm already rather behind (so not a very good reason, granted). I was also wondering if Casey needed a break, is he still sick? (I discovered this strange protective urge around Casey... we've got to keep him alive and healthy, happy and wealthy! Gotta get our fix of those sweet sweet knowledge biscuits yumm yumm.)

I'm not disappointed to see we'll be going through the week because (1) it shows there's still a lot of steam behind this thing which makes me very happy, (2) it wasn't that long ago I was ahead and wishing I had just one or two more episodes and (3) the holiday timing works out that I could actually tune in for these earlier streams [although I'd be behind, so I'm not sure the best way to handle this].

I can def feel you, Troncoso. It's not so trivial to catch up. For the most part each stream is packed pretty dense with info, it takes some time to internalize it all. For me a 1.5+ hr video can turn into a 2.5+ hr session, plus I like to try and find time to review, play around, etc. on top of that.

It's a trade off because we have so much content to get through. Despite my slower personal pace, I'm happy if we keep moving forward and churning out da goods. Once we get it all out there, slowpokes like me can pick through things at our own pace. Like the old adage, "too much is better than not enough."
Martin Cohen
47 posts / 1 project
Code, art, music, stupid ideas.
Hm, now I'm kinda scared to admit that I'm also watching the pre-streams on Twitch just to not miss a single detail. =O
Bert Proesmans
9 posts
Due to school exams and gift preparations for the holidays i'm already a week behind. Because of the family visits around the end of this year i will probably miss another week. When i watch the episodes on Youtube i also watch the Q&A because (like others have said already) the code changes while answering questions.
That's my motivation for postponing the new episodes, i don't want sympathy :P

Honestly i'm surprised that Mr. Muratori wants to continue streaming during the holidays. These days are ideal for taking a short break and enjoy your family.

Happy Holidays!
Bert