Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
12 posts
C++ game dev talks using similar style as Casey
Just watched a couple of video talks about c++ game development and thought it was very interesting and in similar programming style to how Casey is programming, so i thought i'd share. Feel free to add more.

CppCon 2014: Mike Acton "Data-Oriented Design and C++"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc

CppCon 2014: Nicolas Fleury "C++ in Huge AAA Games"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYN6eduU06s
Andrew Bromage
183 posts / 1 project
Research engineer, resident maths nerd (Erdős number 3).
This is an interesting piece about Oculus Rift and "modern C++". Note that it slightly misunderstands John Carmack's role in all this (he sets it right in the comments). This is more about John Carmack's style.
19 posts
Edited by Bigpet on
I hate this "codergears" website. Their "articles" are mostly devoid of content and only used to advertise their own products, they also spam reddit with their own stuff.

I don't even care how good their products are, I will never use it out of principle.

I mean, if they did it like the pvs-studio guys I wouldn't be so mad. There you get an article that was created with the help of their software but it helps improve code and you can actually learn something from it. Besides "here's how you can use our product to derive some metrics that we say are indicative of code-quality" as is the case with the "codegears" guys.
Andrew Bromage
183 posts / 1 project
Research engineer, resident maths nerd (Erdős number 3).
Without having looked at the website closely, I'm inclined to agree. Nonetheless, the fact that they look into codebases (even if their analysis is hokey and unscientific) is itself kind of interesting. It's no substitute for a true "deep dive", of course.
Nick
3 posts
None
Bumping this ancient thread with an interesting presentation that mirrors a lot of what Mike Acton said in his CppCon talk.

Pitfalls of Object Oriented Programming by Tony Albrecht (Sony).